Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1096 – Drink Driving Penalties Bill 2017 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    50.00%
    On the contrary, No
    37.50%
    Abstain
    12.50%

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I do hope your firmness on such issues stays consistent regardless of the party that proposes the policy.

Don't want to donate organs? Opt-out - doesn't seem like a complex concept either and yet some on the right seem to think it's too much to ask.
    There's a massive difference between opting out of something, and opting in to something.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    There's a massive difference between opting out of something, and opting in to something.
    Perhaps conceptually, but when it comes to how it'll affect ordinary people's lives there's very little difference. The difference it'll make to people lying in hospital beds wondering if they'll ever be able to live full lives is massive though. The question that no one dared try and answer was who does the government's Organ Donation Bill hurt? Because we know who it helps. This bill will clearly hurt some poor idiots who falls foul of the law and we can quibble over whether the harm done is for the greater good. I think it's a shame that people won't be so utilitarian in other aspects of policy making. They'll cry foul when it comes to healing blindness but they're happy to put on their statist hat if it's to be harsher on drink drivers.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps conceptually, but when it comes to how it'll affect ordinary people's lives there's very little difference. The difference it'll make to people lying in hospital beds wondering if they'll ever be able to live full lives is massive though. The question that no one dared try and answer was who does the government's Organ Donation Bill hurt? Because we know who it helps. This bill will clearly hurt some poor idiots who falls foul of the law and we can quibble over whether the harm done is for the greater good. I think it's a shame that people won't be so utilitarian in other aspects of policy making. They'll cry foul when it comes to healing blindness but they're happy to put on their statist hat if it's to be harsher on drink drivers.
    I dont think you can say it'll have little difference. for some people it'll be a big difference even if they dont know its happening. it's about the beliefs about their bodies after death, not just what happens whilst alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Not really. It's still a choice - a decision to be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Not really. It's still a choice - a decision to be made.
    No because what if your not aware that your opted in automatically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    We managed to send a pamphlet to every household in the country to tell them why they should vote Remain, I'm sure the same could be done to inform them of the opt-out system.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We pledged to send a pamphlet to every household in the country - we've even costed that - and we're going to include opt-out information on the letter everyone receives at 15-16 years old with their National Insurance info. Not to mention the fact that in a real life scenario something like this would be all over the media.

I actually cannot believe people are saying stuff like 'some people might not know' and think that's a strong argument for people dying and going blind from curable illness in our country. Absolutely terrible.

ReputationRep:
    1) what was said above
    2) if you care little enough to not be aware of the situation, then your feelings don't matter enough to kill people for

ReputationRep:
    We pledged to send a pamphlet to every household in the country - we've even costed that - and we're going to include opt-out information on the letter everyone receives at 15-16 years old with their National Insurance info. Not to mention the fact that in a real life scenario something like this would be all over the media.

I actually cannot believe people are saying stuff like 'some people might not know' and think that's a strong argument for people dying and going blind from curable illness in our country. Absolutely terrible.
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    1) what was said above
    2) if you care little enough to not be aware of the situation, then your feelings don't matter enough to kill people for
    Sorry guys I've not seen pamphlet etc.

I will be supporting the organ donation bill.( I was going to before anyway)
    I was just pointing out that there is a difference between opt out and in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    We managed to send a pamphlet to every household in the country to tell them why they should vote Remain, I'm sure the same could be done to inform them of the opt-out system.
    I was discussing the opt in , opt out system.
    NOT the organ bill
    i will be supporting the organ donation bill!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys I've not seen pamphlet etc.

I will be supporting the organ donation bill.( I was going to before anyway)
    I was just pointing out that there is a difference between opt out and in
    Ohhh, in that case thank you very much.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I believe the SoS for Health even stated his intention to do so in his SoI.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, in that case thank you very much.
    How quickly your tone changes,
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How quickly your tone changes,
    I save the vitriol for the people who deserve it, you did not and I apologise for misunderstanding.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 24
    Noes to the left: 18
    Abstentions: 6

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.