Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1111 - European Union (Notification of Withdrawl) Act 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Quamquam123 This is a good opportunity for me to point out that that's not how you spell withdrawal

In any case, aye, can't do any harm to have it codified here.
    But it does no good either, canon amendment means that it's already going to be implemented, and the previously mentioned amendment still means the net effect of the bill is a grand total of jack ****.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    This isn't true. The Bill can't affect MHoC's legislative competence; the GD would override this Bill. This is more a theoretical discussion of the terms of the Bill.
    Ignoring that, this bill is still a pointless bill formalising a debate which has been going on for over a year in the MHoC bar.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Knowing this bill passing will be pointless because the bill is reaffirming real life, and knowing if this bill fails it will be pointless because what this bill would stop will still go ahead, I would be surprised if you see this bill as a valuable submission worthy of debate.
    I don't know the specifics of how Adam has handled this so I don't know if it is different to how I would have done so.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason to oppose this ... Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Despite what it says in the notes, the only reason I can come up with for writing this is to give the House the opportunity to vote against - because this will likely pass IRL and become canon here.

So... what gives?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Quamquam123 This is a good opportunity for me to point out that that's not how you spell withdrawal

In any case, aye, can't do any harm to have it codified here.
    Oops
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But it does no good either, canon amendment means that it's already going to be implemented, and the previously mentioned amendment still means the net effect of the bill is a grand total of jack ****.
    Jammy - I know about canon but I thought it might be interesting just to have another debate about Brexit seeing as this bill will also be debated in rl Parliament.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Despite what it says in the notes, the only reason I can come up with for writing this is to give the House the opportunity to vote against - because this will likely pass IRL and become canon here.

So... what gives?
    I was just hoping to have another Brexit debate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Jammy - I know about canon but I thought it might be interesting just to have another debate about Brexit seeing as this bill will also be debated in rl Parliament.
    Maybe you should go to the bar from time to time, or UK politics, or News & CA. IF there are two things that aren't under debated in D&CA it's Brexit and Trump
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was just hoping to have another Brexit debate.
    Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to write a bill forcing the government to trigger Article 50 then?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to write a bill forcing the government to trigger Article 50 then?
    I suppose so but I thought you might have something to say about that given there are probably more Remainers than Brexiters in the Government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Maybe you should go to the bar from time to time, or UK politics, or News & CA. IF there are two things that aren't under debated in D&CA it's Brexit and Trump
    Good to know
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so but I thought you might have something to say about that given there are probably more Remainers than Brexiters in the Government.
    I certainly would have.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Good to know
    Which makes ANY rationale on the basis of debate generation a load of *******s, or alternatively shows the mental capacity of a woodlouse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

1) I question whether this bill is even legal since the Mhoc referendum prohibited us ignoring the result until at least March (i think)

2) Canon makes this bill pointless

3) I don't believe the will of Mhoc referenda should be ignored.

4) We can already Leave the parts we don't like before canon in 2019 as we have done with CAP and CFP.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

So... what gives?
    8) The Model House of Commons may not overturn a decision made in a referendum that has taken place within the last three parliamentary terms (including the current term), with the exception that TSR shall remain a member of the EU only if and insofar as the UK in real life does.

If we are still inside 3 terms (remember that we don't Leave the EU until negotiations end, not when we initiate article 50) then i would assert that such a bill would until the end of term be illegal.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    8) The Model House of Commons may not overturn a decision made in a referendum that has taken place within the last three parliamentary terms (including the current term), with the exception that TSR shall remain a member of the EU only if and insofar as the UK in real life does.

If we are still inside 3 terms (remember that we don't Leave the EU until negotiations end, not when we initiate article 50) then i would assert that such a bill would until the end of term be illegal.
    I believe the 3 terms did pass.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I believe the 3 terms did pass.
    Nope, the end of this term is when the referendum expires

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.