Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you drink fizzy drinks, and how often? I don't. watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course I've drank fizzy drinks before, but I haven't for years now. The studies about weight gain, tooth decay and addiction just stop me ever thinking about drinking them. Every day I see people drinking one, two, three or more fizzy drinks, and I don't understand why, after the evidence has been so clearly presented, that so many people still drink them and so frequently.

Why do you drink them and how often? I see them as a health pollutant that's just not worth consuming and honestly, I don't like the taste of them anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I only drink them as a mixer with spirits, which would make picking something healthier a bit pointless. Mixing my booze with carrot juice isn't going to make it much better for me

ReputationRep:
    Almost never. The one exception is when I'm buying a meal for lunch that doesn't get any cheaper if I don't get a drink and they only offer fizzy drinks. Even then, I mostly ignore the drink anyway.

To me, fizzy drinks are obviously bad for you and they don't taste that nice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Only fizzy drinks I like are red bull and dr pepper. only ever drink them now and again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I only drink them as a mixer with spirits, which would make picking something healthier a bit pointless. Mixing my booze with carrot juice isn't going to make it much better for me
    Mixing spirits with juices like orange, pineapple or cranberry would be better. Obviously it doesn't make the entire thing healthy, but it's healthier than lemonade or cola.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely drink fizzy drinks. The amount of sugar in them is ridiculous, and I personally don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like fizzy drinks.

ReputationRep:
    Stopped drinking them a few years ago , stuff inside coke for example is grim.

ReputationRep:
    I try not to drink them that often, but im not going to lie I do love them!

ReputationRep:
    I drink coke zero every single day. If you eat at your maintenance, fizzy drinks won't magically make you gain weight. It's just extra calories if they include sugar and possibly increase your appetite if they are near 0kcal with sugar substitutes.

If you brush, mouth wash and floss every day, you'll be fine. I've pretty good oral hygiene.

The addiction bit is right 'cos some drinks like coke contain caffeine. This extends to coffee too but as long as it doesn't cause you problems, being dependent on it is not that big a deal.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Mixing spirits with juices like orange, pineapple or cranberry would be better. Obviously it doesn't make the entire thing healthy, but it's healthier than lemonade or cola.
    Juice is still packed full of sugar. It's also more expensive.

My point is that in moderation (and I appreciate that multiple cans per day is not 'moderation', but I don't know anybody who does this) it's fine. People also ignore the health warnings associated with things like red meat and excess salt. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe 50% of my days

I have problems sleeping, and I'm always tired for lectures - I don't drink coffee or energy drinks so I use fizzy drinks for the caffeine/sugar boost to keep me awake if we have a lecture between 1-3pm (my body clock is tuned to nap then for some reason).

Plenty of people drink Starbucks coffee and think it's healthier than fizzy drinks - and they have a LOT of sugar. I drink way too many, but I don't think they're that bad really - it's ok to have them in moderation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Juice is still packed full of sugar. It's also more expensive.

My point is that in moderation (and I appreciate that multiple cans per day is not 'moderation', but I don't know anybody who does this) it's fine. People also ignore the health warnings associated with things like red meat and excess salt. :dontknow:
    Juices have sugar in too, but they are better than carbonated drinks. Are they really that more expensive when drinking? I've seen the same price for a double vodka and coke as a double vodka and cranberry.

I see what you're saying about moderation, but if people say the same things about frizzy drinks, red meat, chocolate, crisps and anything else unhealthy, it's all going to add up more than people realise. You could get to the end of the week and have actually eaten/drank twenty, thirty or fifty items you have in 'moderation' without realising.

ReputationRep:
    Was given Diet Coke almost every morning before school from a young age and have become quite strongly addicted to them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I love cola NGL, I tend to go with the calorie free versions just cause I don't want the extra calories, totally aware that the artificial sweeteners aren't exactly a healthy option either but then I don't drink it every day, on average it's sort of a weekend thing where I might buy a big bottle with my Saturday night takeaway and polish the rest off on the Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Was given Diet Coke almost every morning before school from a young age and have become quite strongly addicted to them.
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I love cola NGL, I tend to go with the calorie free versions just cause I don't want the extra calories, totally aware that the artificial sweeteners aren't exactly a healthy option either but then I don't drink it every day, on average it's sort of a weekend thing where I might buy a big bottle with my Saturday night takeaway and polish the rest off on the Sunday.
    Do you think you could stop? What would happen if one day you just didn't drink any? I see people with loads of cans and bottles of fizzy drinks lining the fridge and think these questions. Do you think you would feel better in general if today you told yourself that this was the end for these drinks for you?

I barely drink fizzy drinks. Probably 2 or 3 times a months and sometimes after months. I don't do it on purpose, it just happens lol.

ReputationRep:
    I drink diet fanta or diet coke if I'm having a takeaway, which is usually once every 2 weeks. Might as well pair them together, can't imagine drinking water with my takeaway.
    Also if I'm out for a meal we just always go for soft drinks.

There was a period where I didn't drink fizzy drinks for years, but as we always have cans in our cupboard I started drinking them again in moderation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well I used to drink mountain dew almost everyday on school days, otherwise I'd fall asleep and probably end up failing my A levels :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Do you think you could stop? What would happen if one day you just didn't drink any? I see people with loads of cans and bottles of fizzy drinks lining the fridge and think these questions. Do you think you would feel better in general if today you told yourself that this was the end for these drinks for you?
    I get quite ill when I stop.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.