Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do you drink fizzy drinks, and how often? I don't. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Of course I've drank fizzy drinks before, but I haven't for years now. The studies about weight gain, tooth decay and addiction just stop me ever thinking about drinking them. Every day I see people drinking one, two, three or more fizzy drinks, and I don't understand why, after the evidence has been so clearly presented, that so many people still drink them and so frequently.

Why do you drink them and how often? I see them as a health pollutant that's just not worth consuming and honestly, I don't like the taste of them anyway.
    I drink them occasionally when I fancy something cold and sparkling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    I get quite ill when I stop.
    Surely after a week you'd feel better though?

ReputationRep:
    Surely after a week you'd feel better though?
    Probably, haven't tried it. Will do when I run out of money

ReputationRep:
    Usually have a monster or something some mornings when I can't be asked for coffee.

ReputationRep:
    I love fizzy drinks I pretty much have them every day tbh, but its usually a glass (not a can or bottle or anything) and usually its sugar free (i do prefer regular though, tastes better)

ReputationRep:
    I only have them very rarely but they taste better out of a can lol

i have at least a can of coke everyday, sometimes a 7up too.
      been doing so since like mid august of last year, and tbh nothing bad has happened yet

ReputationRep:
      The only fizzy drink I drink is coke; I don't drink them regularly, sometimes 2-3 times a week, sometimes not at all for a month or so. I do it just because usually I don't care about my health in general. I don't have much money or time recently and eat a lot of junk food even choosing the most caloric ones since it is often my only one meal in a day xd

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 1010marina)
      Maybe 50% of my days

I have problems sleeping, and I'm always tired for lectures - I don't drink coffee or energy drinks so I use fizzy drinks for the caffeine/sugar boost to keep me awake if we have a lecture between 1-3pm (my body clock is tuned to nap then for some reason).

Plenty of people drink Starbucks coffee and think it's healthier than fizzy drinks - and they have a LOT of sugar. I drink way too many, but I don't think they're that bad really - it's ok to have them in moderation
      No way as much as a can of coke. If you drink one can, you've reached the limit of your daily recommended amount of sugar iirc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by homeland.lsw)
      i have at least a can of coke everyday, sometimes a 7up too.
      been doing so since like mid august of last year, and tbh nothing bad has happened yet
      Bad stuff has happened, you just haven't realised it. Your sugar levels have increased, you've probably gained at least a slight amount of weight, you're probably physically dependent on sugar and your teeth have been damaged. It's not like you're going to wake up and see your toe has fallen off.

(Original post by goszka)
      The only fizzy drink I drink is coke; I don't drink them regularly, sometimes 2-3 times a week, sometimes not at all for a month or so. I do it just because usually I don't care about my health in general. I don't have much money or time recently and eat a lot of junk food even choosing the most caloric ones since it is often my only one meal in a day xd
      I never understand the money argument. Fruit and vegetables are cheap if you go to cheap places. It doesn't take much time to peel a banana.

(Original post by Cherub012)
      No way as much as a can of coke. If you drink one can, you've reached the limit of your daily recommended amount of sugar iirc.
      Exactly, this is why I don't go near the stuff.

ReputationRep:
      Do you think you could stop? What would happen if one day you just didn't drink any? I see people with loads of cans and bottles of fizzy drinks lining the fridge and think these questions. Do you think you would feel better in general if today you told yourself that this was the end for these drinks for you?
      I already said it's more of just a weekend thing :rofl: So going a day or several days without drinking it is something I do very regularly. I could live without it.
      • Section Leader
      • Very Important Poster
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      I m allergic to the majority of fizzy drinks so only have coke with an occasional takeaway these days.I just drink water teas and coffees most of the time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mistletoe)
      I get quite ill when I stop.
      Caffeine withdrawal.

Just drink less over a longer period of time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WoodyMKC)
      I already said it's more of just a weekend thing :rofl: So going a day or several days without drinking it is something I do very regularly. I could live without it.
      Something you do every weekend, then suddenly stop, is going to have a psychological impact. If from now you didn't ever drink one again, how would you feel and how do you think you'd feel in the future? If it's just a weekend thing, why not just stop drinking them altogether?

Bad stuff has happened, you just haven't realised it. Your sugar levels have increased, you've probably gained at least a slight amount of weight, and your teeth have been damaged. It's not like you're going to wake up and see your toe has fallen off.
        meh. i actually went to my dentist a couple of weeks ago and he made no comment, he was like continue what you're doing now.
        also im trying to put on weight :dontknow:
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        Mixing spirits with juices like orange, pineapple or cranberry would be better. Obviously it doesn't make the entire thing healthy, but it's healthier than lemonade or cola.
        Just how boring do you have to be to want to make getting hammered healthier?

I could mix spirits with orange juice, but sometimes mixing it with lemonade or coke is just so much better.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cherub012)
        wrong

google it

ReputationRep:
        i dont
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        I very rarely drink fizzy drinks. I stopped drinking them after I got braces when I was 13, and I've never really gone back to drinking them (I didn't drink them very often anyway). Occasionally I'll have some lemonade or something if there's a family party etc, but other than that I only drink water and tea

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
        Just how boring do you have to be to want to make getting hammered healthier?

I could mix spirits with orange juice, but sometimes mixing it with lemonade or coke is just so much better.
        I guess that would be my level of 'boring'. Why is it better? It doesn't make it any more alcoholic, healthy or satisfying.There are loads of juices to choose from, it's not like it's just orange juice and that's it. Vodka and pineapple juice is nice, for example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.