The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Anyone applying to U of G computer science G400?

Hi,

I would like to know how the CS program at U of G compared to others like Aberdeen, Dundee.

How are the job prospects after graduating from here?

Is it easy to get into CS program?

Also, is it possible to "change" the 4 years period into 3 years if I will have good grades etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Is it true that CS in general is a such bad major in UK?

I heard that lots of graduates remain unemployed after graduating from CS program.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rainbow1011

I heard that lots of graduates remain unemployed after graduating from CS program.

I can't really answer the first part of your post because I'm an applicant.

As for this part:
CS, in my experience, very good to major in, because there's a lot of jobs in the UK and they pay very well.
Some programs have high unemployment rates, but that depends on the uni. It seems to me like a lot of people who are unemployed afterwards didn't take the chance at uni to do personal projects, learn to program in other languages, etc, so they don't do very well at assessments/interviews for jobs. Or it could be that the uni isn't teaching up-to-date skills.
Reply 3
Original post by rainbow1011

First, what @trythis said!
I'm an international applicant who first planned on studying CS in american/canadian colleges, so I don't know much about British unis except the ones I applied to. But in on general, I noticed that some major difference between (on average) the british uni approach to undergrad CS and the american/canadian approach. I'll ignore the rigidity of british degrees.

Except a few top ones like Edinburgh, Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick etc, it seems like a lot of CS degrees there don't give a proper theoretical grounding and the courses aren't intensive enough. programming an android app/IT/webdev =/= computer science. Check out the course structure and rigour at an average american/canadian uni and an average British one and see the difference. Second, 80% of your CS education is going to be self-learning, doesn't matter if you go to MIT or CMU. If you don't put an effort beyond what's required to pass your degree, then you'll have a problem!
Reply 4
Original post by jRaj
First, what @trythis said!
I'm an international applicant who first planned on studying CS in american/canadian colleges, so I don't know much about British unis except the ones I applied to. But in on general, I noticed that some major difference between (on average) the british uni approach to undergrad CS and the american/canadian approach. I'll ignore the rigidity of british degrees.

Except a few top ones like Edinburgh, Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick etc, it seems like a lot of CS degrees there don't give a proper theoretical grounding and the courses aren't intensive enough. programming an android app/IT/webdev =/= computer science. Check out the course structure and rigour at an average american/canadian uni and an average British one and see the difference. Second, 80% of your CS education is going to be self-learning, doesn't matter if you go to MIT or CMU. If you don't put an effort beyond what's required to pass your degree, then you'll have a problem!

That's right, and for rainbow I'd like to add that Glasgow is known for having a well and solid theoretical approach to problems in pretty much every engineering department, which is great for CS (more than one graduate told me that so I guess it's true)
Also if you do well and graduate with First Class then you shouldn't worry too much about not getting employed. There are a lot of good guys applying to this course throughout the country and I think that's why you see those employment issues, but like I said, if you do well you are alright

Quick Reply

Latest