Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    aa

ReputationRep:
    I believe so.
    Grid Method take 1 minute to learn so do that I guess ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    So this may sound really ridiculous but I don't have a method to multiply numbers together. I just never really learnt how to do the grid method or one of the other ones. I know how to do long division as I use that in C2 for algebraic division, I still got an A* at GCSE Maths and am taking maths as well as further maths at AS level and was just curious really if anyone else has experienced this...
    Are you trolling? Just use the column method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    Are you trolling? Just use the column method?
    Im deadly serious, I know this sounds absurd but I have gotten away with it for so long and seeing as most of the exams at A-Level have a calc I just havent had the need to learn it. C1 has never had any questions which would require long multiplication or division afaik.

ReputationRep:
    So this may sound really ridiculous but I don't have a method to multiply numbers together. I just never really learnt how to do the grid method or one of the other ones. I know how to do long division as I use that in C2 for algebraic division, I still got an A* at GCSE Maths and am taking maths as well as further maths at AS level and was just curious really if anyone else has experienced this...
    I'd recommend learning the column method for multiplication. Have a look on YouTube for a tutorial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiep)
    I believe so.
    Grid Method take 1 minute to learn so do that I guess ...
    I know I should ive just been putting it off really, I haven't actually run into a situation where it has screwed me apart from when I did the SMC this year.

ReputationRep:
    I know I should ive just been putting it off really, I haven't actually run into a situation where it has screwed me apart from when I did the SMC this year.
    Yeah, I can see where you're comming from but make sure things like this don't happen again as it can really screw you over.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there will be many questions in C1 that force you to do multiplication of large numbers. I use the column method but I just don't really think about it. Multiplying surds will almost certainly come up though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.