AS/A level Revision tips Watch

This discussion is closed.
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi, this thread could also help a lot of other people starting their AS this september.
What is your best revision technique that has never failed you, for gcse's, i just made a lot of notes and tried memorising them, for some subjects that worked but for others it didnt.
The real question is how do you revise? On one of my other threads someone(i think elizabeth) directed me to the mind map things and spider diagrams, has anyone tried this before.
Or is your revision technique a secret???
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I find the night before the exam is the best time. I just read my notes over and concentrate on the important points. I don't bother doing much revision cos im lazy and it doesnt seem to make much difference. Talking stuff through with a mate is quite good aswell. Saying stuff out loud or writing it down.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
here are a few tips

1) leave your homework/coursework to the last minute - this actually helps you because it enables to 'think' about what you need to do for you homework/coureswork, which aids you thought processes...

2) GO TO THE PUB MORE

3) fall asleep in class - you'll be amazed how much you learn
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
My methods have been tried and tested since Primary school...look, cover, repeat! Well thats the basic idea anyway. Only works if you understand the stuff when you're first told it so you only need (a lot of) reminding. I basically did a lot of note reading the week and night before and memorising the important details (note, this doesn't work for maths...that actually involves work throughout the year - sorry!)
It's a good idea to stick to what you know. By all means experiment with mocks, but if you've got a tried and tested theory that works from GCSEs then it's worth sticking to it.

D
-x-
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh i forgot definitely the best way to revise is exam practics. This gets you used to the type of questions they ask, the types of answers they expect, the timing, the marking etc. Exam practice is the best way to revise, very useful in maths and science.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My school invited a teacher who tried to teach us about mind maps and all of those types of things. Despite it being fun to try a remember a list of 20 random words in a specific order I found it complete balls as I couldn't connect using those techniques into my revision. As far as I know no one in my year uses those type of techniques but I'm sure there are some who find it beneficial.

For GCSEs I just wrote thorough notes for each subject and tried to memorise them. Also if writing notes for your mock, after your mocks chuck them away and write them all over again for your exams. I am a believer of 'if you write it enough, it will eventually sink in.'

For AS levels I just worked consistently throughout the year. Luckily I did this because I mucked around all during the holidays and then crammed at the last minute (I literally went through my notes for Physics the night before). I think cramming is acceptable for AS/A2 levels, just not for when you go to uni. Plus cramming really works for some people.

Both techniques worked equally I think, but cramming does make you really stressed and a walking zombie from lack of sleep
sas104
Report 15 years ago
The best revision technique is to learn as you go. It is much easier than getting to the end of the course and trying to learn a lever-arch file full of notes. If you have any tests during the year revise properly for them and if you don't understand something, ask straightaway don't wait! Also, doing lots of practice questions is the only good way to revise for maths. For history I made lists of important dates and events as well as summarised notes.
sas104
Report 15 years ago
I also meant to say that in my experience mind maps are useless!!!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (628)
80.62%
Leave (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed