Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone this is my first thread so sorry if I get this wrong. Anyway I was wondering if anyone went to the Applicant Visit Day at the University of York yesterday (Jan 28) for English and how they found it ? I really liked the course structure but I'm kind of sceptical about them assessing mostly through essays and there being hardly any exams. I also liked the campus tour and I really wanted to check out the accommodation but unfortunately our tour guide couldn't take us to the Derwent room because it was locked. Is anyone else planning on going to the next Visit Days? I just want to know some other people's opinion about how they found the University and specially the English Department

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradiselovato)
    Hey everyone this is my first thread so sorry if I get this wrong. Anyway I was wondering if anyone went to the Applicant Visit Day at the University of York yesterday (Jan 28) for English and how they found it ? I really liked the course structure but I'm kind of sceptical about them assessing mostly through essays and there being hardly any exams. I also liked the campus tour and I really wanted to check out the accommodation but unfortunately our tour guide couldn't take us to the Derwent room because it was locked. Is anyone else planning on going to the next Visit Days? I just want to know some other people's opinion about how they found the University and specially the English Department
    Hey! I was hoping someone would create a thread about this ☺ ! I also attended the York post offer day on Saturday as I'm strongly considering going there to read English. I'm 50/50 about whether the strong emphasis on essays over exams is a good thing... I'm quite good at exams but I suppose it could be a good thing being able to spend time writing an essay instead of just frantically regurgitating things you've memorised? 😂 I saw a Derwent room and it was surprisingly nice on the inside (i wasn't really expecting it to be as the outside of the building wasn't the most aesthetic... I do like the campus though ☺..

ReputationRep:

Hey! I also attended the visit day this weekend ☺ .. I'm 50/50 as to whether essays over exams is a good thing but I liked the campus and I'm strongly considering York. I saw a Derwent room and it was surprisingly nice 😂 (I say surprisingly because the exterior wasn't the best but from what I've seen York's are actually some of the nicest of the uni accommodation I've looked at).. Were you in the lecture? ☺

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone visiting for the English applicant day tomorrow?
    Do you get a chance to other students or do you get split off, as I am going up with a friend so I wasn't sure?
    Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bea._99)
    Hey! I also attended the visit day this weekend ☺ .. I'm 50/50 as to whether essays over exams is a good thing but I liked the campus and I'm strongly considering York. I saw a Derwent room and it was surprisingly nice 😂 (I say surprisingly because the exterior wasn't the best but from what I've seen York's are actually some of the nicest of the uni accommodation I've looked at).. Were you in the lecture? ☺
    Hey sorry for the late reply I thought nobody would reply to this thread lol 😩 I think I would be ok with essays actually but it's just scary to think of completely coming out of the exam mindset idk why. The exterior of the campus was kinda shabby but I thought it was still a pretty nice campus.Especially if you like kind of an old school structure. I was looking at the accommodation on the website and they looked pretty nice ! I was there at the lecture on the 28th of January. Anyways are you considering York as your firm choice ? What other universities have you applied to ? I'm nervous about the entry requirements at York and whether I'll achieve the result they need because of how high the requirements are 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiejoanna)
    Is anyone visiting for the English applicant day tomorrow?
    Do you get a chance to other students or do you get split off, as I am going up with a friend so I wasn't sure?
    Thanksss
    Hi I've already been to a lecture but pretty much after you have the lecture by some of the staff members in the English Department you get to have a campus tour and that's really where you get split up into groups of threes and fours depending on who you're sitting next to so you can get shown around the campus . I don't know if I answered your question correctly but if I didn't let me know 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry for the late reply I thought nobody would reply to this thread lol 😩 I think I would be ok with essays actually but it's just scary to think of completely coming out of the exam mindset idk why. The exterior of the campus was kinda shabby but I thought it was still a pretty nice campus.Especially if you like kind of an old school structure. I was looking at the accommodation on the website and they looked pretty nice ! I was there at the lecture on the 28th of January. Anyways are you considering York as your firm choice ? What other universities have you applied to ? I'm nervous about the entry requirements at York and whether I'll achieve the result they need because of how high the requirements are 😁
    Hey again, no problem ☺️ I was in the lecture on January 28th too! I wouldn't overly worry about the entry requirements as the student who showed me around told me that they usually allow you in if you have an offer and miss out on the grades. I have offers from Newcastle, Glasgow and York (I got rejected from Durham and Oxford post interview 🙈). I'm strongly considering York and I think it'll be either there or Newcastle, how about you? 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.