Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

So I completed my primary PGCE last year, just wondering how many other grads are now not teaching. I had a terrible PGCE year, my teacher was a bully and the university were really not concerned about me.

I'm now pursuing another career with a better salary, less stress and not having to bring any work home. Anyone else in a similar position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James673)
    Hey everyone.

So I completed my primary PGCE last year, just wondering how many other grads are now not teaching. I had a terrible PGCE year, my teacher was a bully and the university were really not concerned about me.

I'm now pursuing another career with a better salary, less stress and not having to bring any work home. Anyone else in a similar position?
    Did you persue a different career as soon as you completed your pgce or did you teach then quit? I keep hearing all these horror pgce stories and its making me rethink my plans

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=1secondsofvamps;69840662]Did you persue a different career as soon as you completed your pgce or did you teach then quit? I keep hearing all these horror pgce stories and its making me rethink my plans [/QUOTE

Didn't even bother going into teaching. Finished my PGCE, went travelling, and then applied and got a job offer outside of teaching. Are you currently doing a PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=James673;69841556]
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Did you persue a different career as soon as you completed your pgce or did you teach then quit? I keep hearing all these horror pgce stories and its making me rethink my plans [/QUOTE

Didn't even bother going into teaching. Finished my PGCE, went travelling, and then applied and got a job offer outside of teaching. Are you currently doing a PGCE?
    No, im in year 13. Im actually thinking of doing a degree then a pgce

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=1secondsofvamps;69841630]
    (Original post by James673)

No, im in year 13. Im actually thinking of doing a degree then a pgce
    Just remember that you're never really gonna know how it is until you try it; I understand and sympathise greatly with the number of people who have felt screwed over during their PGCE but it's your life and if you wanna obtain one then go for it :-)

I mean that's what I have to repeat to myself, as I too want to do a PGCE and sometimes have doubts.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Inexorably;69841708]

Just remember that you're never really gonna know how it is until you try it; I understand and sympathise greatly with the number of people who have felt screwed over during their PGCE but it's your life and if you wanna obtain one then go for it :-)

I mean that's what I have to repeat to myself, as I too want to do a PGCE and sometimes have doubts.

That's a fair point. You may enjoy doing a PGCE. Personally, I found it to be the most depressing and soul destroying year of my life. Not surprised that around 40% of people on the course dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Inexorably;69841708]

sometimes i think im better of doing BA primary education with QTS but me being an awkward person decides to do a degree then a PGCE

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.