Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to London in September to do my postgrad (its not a masters so i don't get the masters loan) and all the flat's i've been looking at ask for Proof of income or you must earn x amount to live here..

I've been working as much as i can over the past six months or so, and will continue to work as much as i can (Over summer i do like 60 hours) so i've built up ALOT in savings....enough to support myself over the 6 months for my postgrad and probably 2-3 months beyond that whilst i find a full time job. So how do I find a flat if they're all asking for proof of income which I obviously won't have? (I am planning to find a part time job once i actually move there as well)
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    You need to look specifically at the student rental market, not the general rental market. Most websites will let you filter on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You need to look specifically at the student rental market, not the general rental market. Most websites will let you filter on that.
    Even though i'll only be a student for six months and most rental contracts (At least for students) are a year??

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the money to pay the rent up front, any landlord will accept that. My GF had a similar problem as a student because she was foreign, she didn't have a guarantor in the UK.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Even though i'll only be a student for six months and most rental contracts (At least for students) are a year??
    You'll have to negotiate. Play heavily on being a mature student and don't say anything until you've viewed the property and more importantly the estate agent has viewed you. You'll get a straight no asking for anything non standard over phone or email face to face is easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.