The Student Room Group

If you don't shop at aldi or lidl, why?

Curious as to why some people shop in the big four, I understand if you're a millionaire, or you're topping up whatever aldi or lidl didn't sell, but if you're just your typical middle class family, then how come? (I'm also not poor for anyone who is ignorant enough to think so)

On average I'm saving £25 a week shopping in aldi, rather than tescos, around 1300 a year saved and better spent elsewhere, as I think the quality is as good, if not sometimes better than branded items, feels better, along with the fact it's not being pocketed by shareholders.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's too far away so I just go to tesco instead. I can live off about £15 or £20 a week on food shopping
Reply 2
Neither are in my area.
Original post by Joshale
Curious as to why some people shop in the big four, I understand if you're a millionaire, or you're topping up whatever aldi or lidl didn't sell, but if you're just your typical middle class family, then how come? (I'm also not poor for anyone who is ignorant enough to think so)

On average I'm saving £25 a week shopping in aldi, rather than tescos, around 1300 a year saved and better spent elsewhere, as I think the quality is as good, if not sometimes better than branded items, feels better

Well when it comes to Aldi, I don't like the shopping experience, it's very 'efficient'. There's a very narrow range of products/brands to explore, and they don't stock much variety. There's a giant ASDA right across the road so I tend to go there. It's sometimes a bit frustrating having to shop at both places in the same day.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can save a lot of time shopping online for groceries, which is something that Aldi or Lidl don't offer. Some people's time and convenience is more important than saving a few quid
Original post by misstiah_h
You can save a lot of time shopping online for groceries, which is something that Aldi or Lidl don't offer. Some people's time and convenience is more important than saving a few quid

But you can also end up spending more due to enticing 'offers' and the prices can be different to in-store prices.
I've had food from them both before and it wasn't that great compared with elsewhere. Sainsbury's and M&S are my favourites, but obviously you pay more for the quality. If we need a few small things inbetween big shops we may go to Morrisons, but mainly because there's one far closer to us than the other places.
Every time I've been it's an absolute nightmare. I can feel the stress hormones being released. They are not setup for the number of customers they get.
I don't like giving Germans money.
I shop at Tesco and Sainsbury's because there's hardly any Lidl's/Aldis near me.
Original post by hezzlington
But you can also end up spending more due to enticing 'offers' and the prices can be different to in-store prices.

I think because there are more visual displays and offers in supermarkets you are more tempted to spend money there than online. Also, with online shopping you can keep track of the total price as you add items to the basket instead of having an unpleasant surprise at the till.. just saying.
Original post by Sternumator
Every time I've been it's an absolute nightmare. I can feel the stress hormones being released. They are not setup for the number of customers they get.

Yeah, this is one of the main deterrents of Lidl and Aldi.

--------

4 checkout lanes, 1 of them is open and often unmanned as management is more bothered about making them stack shelves pristine rather than actually do their job. While ASDA etc are more expensive and may not even offer the same quality at the more expensive price, I know I can get in and out of Asda quick whereas Aldi/Lidl...lmao
Reply 12
Original post by hezzlington
Well when it comes to Aldi, I don't like the shopping experience, it's very 'efficient'. There's a very narrow range of products/brands to explore, and they stock much variety. There's a giant ASDA right across the road so I tend to go there. It's sometimes a bit frustrating having to shop at both places in the same day.

I don't like the size of their supermarket and usually go when it's less busy otherwise it's just a mess. Fair enough, for me they probably only don't stock 3-4 things I sometimes want, but the tescos is right next to it.
I do my big shop at Aldi but go to Sainsbury's for medium/small shops because Aldis is a 25 minute walk away from me and there's literally 4 different Sainsburys on the way :tongue:
There isn't an Aldi or Lidl near to me.
Original post by Joshale

On average I'm saving £25 a week shopping in aldi, rather than tescos, around 1300 a year saved and better spent elsewhere, as I think the quality is as good, if not sometimes better than branded items, feels better, along with the fact it's not being pocketed by shareholders.

I have the money, I don't want to shop with chavs and kids, I care about what I put in my body, I don't want to be seen with Aldi bags, I appreciate quality food, it goes on and on.
none near me lol
They're not convenient, they're not good shopping experiences, they don't really save anything significant for me and my shopping styles.

And I work for a competitor. Well. Kind of competitor.
Reply 18
Aldi's not a pleasant shopping experience, the queues and till staffage is a bit of an issue for me. Then there's the quality of what they sell. Take their yoghurts. I notice the amount of protein is a fraction of what you'd get in a similar sized one from branded products/tesco etc. I came to the conclusion it's a bit of an illusion. Yes, they do have some good stuff. But generally it's an inferior product and service to other supermarkets. Great for those on constrained budgets though.
Reply 19
Original post by Glassapple
I have the money, I don't want to shop with chavs and kids, I care about what I put in my body, I don't want to be seen with Aldi bags, I appreciate quality food, it goes on and on.

I have the money, probably more than you but I don't like wasting it on things that are hell lot cheaper. Chavs lol, only if you're in a rundown area, as my aldi carpark is starting to be full of luxurious cars, but if you like to be ignorant then sure:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest