Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing A level Spanish and Latin. I'm not sure if this has any bearing but i got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE. I definitely want to do a degree in Spanish, but with another language.

Do I choose:
    a) Arabic - pros: not many people have it; cons: i am girl (not sure how it would be on my year abroad) and anxious/not sure how i would find learning a new alphabet. + arabic as a language varies dramatically across the globe

b) Italian - pros: I learnt french for 10 years, and am doing Latin and Spanish at A level so shouldn't be too hideous to learn. cons: I feel like it wouldn't help me get a job since there are more people doing italian?

c) Latin -pros: I'm doing it for A level, love it. cons: you cannot use it in the world. it is a 'dead language'.

Any advice from people who have done any of the degrees with the above language would be so so helpful and appreciated. Thank you!!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    x
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you love Latin, do it. There's no point taking up a language you don't enjoy, most people who do that end up dropping it. You certainly should not take on a beast like Arabic unless you are totally committed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.