Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

outline the structure and process involved in synaptic transmission Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure of how to answer this question in one of my past papers but I wrote: This is a process in which signalling molecules called neurotransmitters are released by a neuron (pre synaptic neuron) and achieve the reception or other neuron called the post synaptic neuron. What would be a better answer for this question to gain 6 marks

ReputationRep:
    well it's asking for the process. So you'd need to be talking about action fire which travels through the axon, to the dendrites etc.

Possible include an example of an inhibited/excitation neurotransmitter and how it would affect the post-synaptic neuron.

ReputationRep:
    id say briefly go over how the action potential is generated and passes along by pre synaptic neurone, the mechanism of how the action potential causes the release of neurotransmitters which then generate another action potential across the synaptic cleft, in the post synaptic neurone

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to mention the importance of neurotransmitters being broken down by cholinesterase - this is an often overlooked part of synaptic transmission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    id say briefly go over how the action potential is generated and passes along by pre synaptic neurone, the mechanism of how the action potential causes the release of neurotransmitters which then generate another action potential across the synaptic cleft, in the post synaptic neurone
    Thank you, my work was marked before you replied and I got 5 marks. The 1 mark lost was due to me not talking about depolarisation and hypolarisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariah Del Ray)
    Thank you, my work was marked before you replied and I got 5 marks. The 1 mark lost was due to me not talking about depolarisation and hypolarisation
    oh well done then, i thought you worded it exactly as you did in the thread which wouldnt have scored so highly as a lot of key words were missing but im assuming you summarised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    oh well done then, i thought you worded it exactly as you did in the thread which wouldnt have scored so highly as a lot of key words were missing but im assuming you summarised
    😂😂yes I summarised. I wrote a lengthy answer in my actual work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.