Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In order to qualify as a home EU student, you must meet all of the following criteria:

- On the first day of an academic year of your course you must be a national of an EU country, or the 'relevant family member' of a non-UK EU national, and that non-UK EU national is in the UK as a self sufficient person or as a student; OR the 'relevant family member' of a UK national;

AND you must have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area (EEA) and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course'.

AND the main purpose of your residence in the EEA/Switzerland (or the overseas territories if applicable) must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period.

So I'm a British national who spent most of my childhood away from the UK. I received my British passport at 17, choosing my dad's citizenship over my previous citizenship (Singapore). However I also come back and attended a boarding school in the UK during sixth form. Understandably, when I applied for my undergrad, I did not qualify for home fees because I had been in the UK primarily for full-time education.

I'm applying for a Master's now and would like to ascertain whether i adhere to the "ordinary residence" clause... Basically, does university education count as full-time education? I have read that full-time education has to be 12 hours a week, and I've only had 8 contact hours a week for my first two years at university and only had 6 during my third year.

Would appreciate any sort of clarification, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodvibes)
    In order to qualify as a home EU student, you must meet all of the following criteria:

- On the first day of an academic year of your course you must be a national of an EU country, or the 'relevant family member' of a non-UK EU national, and that non-UK EU national is in the UK as a self sufficient person or as a student; OR the 'relevant family member' of a UK national;

AND you must have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area (EEA) and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course'.

AND the main purpose of your residence in the EEA/Switzerland (or the overseas territories if applicable) must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period.

So I'm a British national who spent most of my childhood away from the UK. I received my British passport at 17, choosing my dad's citizenship over my previous citizenship (Singapore). However I also come back and attended a boarding school in the UK during sixth form. Understandably, when I applied for my undergrad, I did not qualify for home fees because I had been in the UK primarily for full-time education.

I'm applying for a Master's now and would like to ascertain whether i adhere to the "ordinary residence" clause... Basically, does university education count as full-time education? I have read that full-time education has to be 12 hours a week, and I've only had 8 contact hours a week for my first two years at university and only had 6 during my third year.

Would appreciate any sort of clarification, thanks!
    Uni counts as full time education...one of my friends (whos welsh) is currently having the same issue, she wants to do her masters in england and can't
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Unless it was listed as part time, (they usually take 6 years to complete) it was likely that your course was full time.

ReputationRep:
    If your sole reason for coming to the UK from out side the EU/EEA was education (be that school or uni) then you will automatically be ineligible for any Student Finance. Usually, uni will not count towards the three years of "Ordinary Residence" necessary to build up qualifying years of residence.

Your contact hours do not determine whether your course was full-time or part-time, as much uni learning is expected to be independent and will be done outside contact hours. Your uni will have said whether it was full- or part-time. If it took three years, then it was full-time. However, the point is moot unless you came to the UK in the first place for reasons other than education.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.