The Student Room Group

Iranian PHD student banned from US despite having a house, job, dog and car

Scroll to see replies

The EO text itself goes extensively into how the bill is designed to protect American safety in light of 9/11. In fact, it repeats 9/11 quite a lot throughout the document. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia, the country where the majority of 9/11 perpetrators came from, is not on the list of banned countries.

Instead Trump has decided to bar US permanent residents into their own country purely based on their nationality, something they have no control over, even from relatively progressive (in comparison to other Arab states) Iran.

There is no real excuse for this.
Reply 21
Original post by WhiteKnight747
ideally we will get towards banning all muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile

Including the 3.3 million living there?
Original post by jneill

Look at his username. It's quite obvious that they are a white supremacist and probably want another Holocaust.
Original post by jneill

no, that would be impractical, but it makes a lot of sense to limit muslim migration - if muslims cant get into the country, then they cant blow us up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
no, that would be impractical, but it makes a lot of sense to limit muslim migration - if muslims cant get into the country, then they cant blow us up

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will definitely stop a 9/11 style attack will it?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 11.33.49.jpg
Original post by jneill
It will definitely stop a 9/11 style attack will it?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 11.33.49.jpg

lols thanks for posting this. you are just supporting my argument.

you're very right. ideally we should ban people from the 9/11 countries too, and the more we ban the better, but some countries banned is better than no bans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
lols thanks for posting this. you are just supporting my argument.

you're very right. ideally we should ban people from the 9/11 countries too, and the more we ban the better, but some countries banned is better than no bans

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why won't he ban those countries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought that Muslims hated dogs because they are considered dirty and that's why they use dog as an insult all the time?
Have you ever considered that maybe not everyone from these countries is a radical muslim terrorists, not everyone is even muslim (not that that even matters). Just think about if you were in their situation - except no one actually will because being small-minded and bigoted is much easier.

How about if the world suddenly decided that all white british people were Neo-Nazis because there are a few in this country? Oh my, suddenly that would be abhorrent wouldn't it? To be thought of as the same as a few extremists...

Knowing people in this exact situation makes me so angry, and knowing there are people out there proud of it is even worse.
Original post by neuromeg
Have you ever considered that maybe not everyone from these countries is a radical muslim terrorists, not everyone is even muslim (not that that even matters). Just think about if you were in their situation - except no one actually will because being small-minded and bigoted is much easier.

How about if the world suddenly decided that all white british people were Neo-Nazis because there are a few in this country? Oh my, suddenly that would be abhorrent wouldn't it? To be thought of as the same as a few extremists...

Knowing people in this exact situation makes me so angry, and knowing there are people out there proud of it is even worse.

if you had a bowl of skittles and you knew some of skittles in the bowl were poisonous, would you still eat the skittles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you had a bowl of skittles and you knew some of skittles in the bowl were poisonous, would you still eat the skittles?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People aren't skittles.
Original post by neuromeg
People aren't skittles.

you're absolutely right.

they're much worse than skittles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg my thread has been featured on the 'Today on TSR' sidebar. Go me!
Original post by jambojim97
No, that's incorrect. During her studies, she was on a student visa - a nonimmigrant visa for the purpose of study. Since completing her doctorate, she has been in the US on a temporary worker visa. Both of these are nonimmigrant visas meaning she has no avenue to apply for citizenship.

Therefore my point still stands that she has been treated unfairly and inhumanely.

And my point still stands. You take the risk not being a citizen in another country.
An immigration system where people come in from various countries and all have an equal chance of getting in, reliant on their qualifications, is an immigration system that benefits all. Currently, there is a real problem with the Islamic ideology that exists in these countries - that is undeniable.
Original post by Wōden
Why would there be? Are you a citizen of any of the affected countries?

Dual citizenship; British & Iranian, so yes I'm affected by it unfortunately.

It's amazing how hillbillies have more rights than a typical student coming for a 'visit'.

And I'm not even Muslim.
Reply 35
Original post by Stoke123

I believe the US government has confirmed that those with duel citizenship will not be affected.

It's amazing how hillbillies have more rights than a typical student coming for a 'visit

Of course they do, it's their country and not yours. Iranian hillbillies have more rights than I would as a visitor to Iran, but you don't hear me complaining. And I'd actually quite like to visit Iran, it looks like a fascinating place, but for British, American and Canadian citizens, that is not an easy task so it's probably not going to happen. Oh well, such is life.
Original post by Stoke123

It's amazing how hillbillies have more rights than a typical student coming for a 'visit'.

And I'm not even Muslim.

it's fine, lmao cos Iran supports Hezbollah and Hamas and has a nuclear programme, people like u and my family (nobodies) are banned from a nation.

:rofl:
Ridiculous.
[video="youtube;sAwFLtbc7_c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwFLtbc7_c[/video]
I am honestly appalled by the people defending this. It is simply unacceptable to ban all refugees from a country because it is a 'common belief' that terrorists come from their country. If everyone did this in a time of crisis innocent war victims would be left trapped in their country to die without any hope of escape. More people are killed annually in the US by American citizens but is Trump worried about that? No, he's closing the borders to people from countries that have no documented cases of harming Americans.
ideally we will get towards banning all muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol wont stop mericans from shooting up schools

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending