Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Literally just go on netflix, faff about with disparate books like a pretentious dilettante tosser, and lurk on TSR and other forums. The gap year malaise is starting to get to me. Any ideas on passing the next eight months more constructively?

ReputationRep:
    A job perhaps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Literally just go on netflix, faff about with disparate books like a pretentious dilettante tosser, and lurk on TSR and other forums. The gap year malaise is starting to get to me. Any ideas on passing the next eight months more constructively?
    Volunteering abroad (something cheap)? Learning a language (online course so not just learning a few words)? Pre-reading for university? Learning a new skill such as cooking or wine tasting? Starting your own blog? Learning to play a new instrument? Going offline for a week? It really depends on what you're into. I'm also on my gap year and I see how much I'll regret if I don't use it constructively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    A job perhaps...
    I'd love one but I'm afraid I'll mess it up like I did last time on account of my bipolar. I'm not the most consistent individual and monotonous work stresses the **** out of me. I'm torn.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milutin767)
    Volunteering abroad (something cheap)? Learning a language (online course so not just learning a few words)? Pre-reading for university? Learning a new skill such as cooking or wine tasting? Starting your own blog? Learning to play a new instrument? Going offline for a week? It really depends on what you're into. I'm also on my gap year and I see how much I'll regret if I don't use it constructively.
    What have you been doing with your gap year? Also, are a you a quixotic Oxbridger like me?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love one but I'm afraid I'll mess it up like I did last time on account of my bipolar. I'm not the most consistent individual and monotonous work stresses the **** out of me. I'm torn.....
    Oh ****, sorry for sounding so rude in that case (rather hypocritical of me too because I'm in a bit of a similar situation)!

Would you consider maybe taking another A Level or other qualification of some sort? When I've been toying with the idea of a gap year I've quite liked the idea of completing my maths A Level after dropping it for A2, but I feel like that would be most people's idea of hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    Oh ****, sorry for sounding so rude in that case (rather hypocritical of me too because I'm in a bit of a similar situation)!

Would you consider maybe taking another A Level or other qualification of some sort? When I've been toying with the idea of a gap year I've quite liked the idea of completing my maths A Level after dropping it for A2, but I feel like that would be most people's idea of hell
    Haha, not offended at all. I already took far too many subjects and I spend pretty much all of my time reading. Despite being academically inclined, I'm rather extroverted. I think something involving people would be cool. I'm living like a hermit as it is!

It's weird being an ambitious sort on a gap year, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    What have you been doing with your gap year? Also, are a you a quixotic Oxbridger like me?
    Not really, being an overseas applicant I couldn't afford Oxbridge fees, but I did get into Medicine at Bristol and realised in August that I couldn't afford it due to unforeseen circumstances so I took a gap year and I'll start Biochemistry (MUCH cheaper) at Newcastle this September.
    I'm doing uni pre-reading and taking notes for 4 modules (two from each semester) out of 8 according to the syllabus and I'm travelling low-cost around Europe, I found 10 GBP return flights to Berlin and Lisbon (skyscanner.net) so that's fun. I'm also brushing up on my French (taking C1/C2 exams) and doing plenty of sports every day. I keep thinking how I won't be able to do these things while at uni (at least not that much) so that's what keeps me going. Also make sure you're getting enough sleep, that's something that won't be so easy in years to come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milutin767)
    Not really, being an overseas applicant I couldn't afford Oxbridge fees, but I did get into Medicine at Bristol and realised in August that I couldn't afford it due to unforeseen circumstances so I took a gap year and I'll start Biochemistry (MUCH cheaper) at Newcastle this September.
    I'm doing uni pre-reading and taking notes for 4 modules (two from each semester) out of 8 according to the syllabus and I'm travelling low-cost around Europe, I found 10 GBP return flights to Berlin and Lisbon (skyscanner.net) so that's fun. I'm also brushing up on my French (taking C1/C2 exams) and doing plenty of sports every day. I keep thinking how I won't be able to do these things while at uni (at least not that much) so that's what keeps me going. Also make sure you're getting enough sleep, that's something that won't be so easy in years to come
    Christ, I responded but TSR is being dodgy today....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.