Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can anyone offer any advice feeling hopeless :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story please bear with.

So during semester 1 of last year which was meant to be my final year of uni, my grandad passed away during the Jan exams. My grandad brought me up so very close etc., and I missed the exams. MCs accepted and the Uni said I could carry on to Semester 2 and resit the 3 missed exams this year. I did well in semester 2 – I got 82 on my dissertation and 76, 77, and 80 on my three modules. I also got 78 average from second year.

The uni is aware I have got issues surrounding anxiety, depression and panic attacks. During this resit period, I had an awful surge in these symptoms. I was, and still am, feeling better off dead, anxious, didnt eat (dissolved sugar in hot water for energy), felt like a fraud, a failure, and panic attacks. I managed to get through the first two exams, however by the third I was physically and mentally unable. I crashed and went the GP who told me it was wise to take “respite” from the exams and return after I had improved. I was told I was close to hospitalisation.

I told my uni admin office who told me to send in evidence of MCs to be considered for re-sit. My GP wrote me a detailed note. My tutor didn't reply to my email. I was told that the options are either:

- I will graduate this year, with a failed module on my transcript, but with an overall average (so either a 2;1, or 1st)
    - I can return in Jan to resit the one exam and graduate next year.

I know it's unfortunate circumstances and I am by no means special, but would I be out of place to ask if I could resit the exam or some form of assessment for the module during what would be semester 2?? As I am no longer a student in semester 2, I feel this would be more time-effective and would give me something to aim for. I feel like the circumstances of being a perfectionist and delaying graduation once have contributed to my depressive state and I dread to think what it would do to me again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cherry xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycametoo)
    Long story please bear with.

So during semester 1 of last year which was meant to be my final year of uni, my grandad passed away during the Jan exams. My grandad brought me up so very close etc., and I missed the exams. MCs accepted and the Uni said I could carry on to Semester 2 and resit the 3 missed exams this year. I did well in semester 2 – I got 82 on my dissertation and 76, 77, and 80 on my three modules. I also got 78 average from second year.

The uni is aware I have got issues surrounding anxiety, depression and panic attacks. During this resit period, I had an awful surge in these symptoms. I was, and still am, feeling better off dead, anxious, didnt eat (dissolved sugar in hot water for energy), felt like a fraud, a failure, and panic attacks. I managed to get through the first two exams, however by the third I was physically and mentally unable. I crashed and went the GP who told me it was wise to take “respite” from the exams and return after I had improved. I was told I was close to hospitalisation.

I told my uni admin office who told me to send in evidence of MCs to be considered for re-sit. My GP wrote me a detailed note. My tutor didn't reply to my email. I was told that the options are either:

- I will graduate this year, with a failed module on my transcript, but with an overall average (so either a 2;1, or 1st)
    - I can return in Jan to resit the one exam and graduate next year.

I know it's unfortunate circumstances and I am by no means special, but would I be out of place to ask if I could resit the exam or some form of assessment for the module during what would be semester 2?? As I am no longer a student in semester 2, I feel this would be more time-effective and would give me something to aim for. I feel like the circumstances of being a perfectionist and delaying graduation once have contributed to my depressive state and I dread to think what it would do to me again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cherry xx
    Hi there, losing one of your loved ones is a tragic occurrence that could affect individual in many ways, it's my first year at uni and my relative passed away last Christmas so I get the idea on how you must be feeling, yet I try to stay positive because im (hoping) to graduate with first

Back to your question; i don't think it'd be that easy to arrange since it is a graduation year but no harm in asking if you're looking for better answer I'd suggest contacting your university services

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.