The Student Room Group

C3 Trigonometry or C4 Integration?

Poll

Which topic(s) did you find the hardest when studying C3/C4?

Hello guys,

I was just wondering what part of C3 Trigonometry or C4 Integration did you find the hardest? Also, which one out of the two topics did you find the hardest - did you find C3 trigonometry easier than C4 integration or C4 integration easier than C3 trigonometry - also why?

Also, which topic did you find the hardest out of those chapters and why - was it the topic, the questions, the links to other chapters?

Sorry, the topics were taken from the Edexcel specification but people can comment on topics from other exam boards too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
C4 integration. Absolutely hate it.
Original post by Chittesh14
Hello guys,

I was just wondering what part of C3 Trigonometry or C4 Integration did you find the hardest? Also, which one out of the two topics did you find the hardest - did you find C3 trigonometry easier than C4 integration or C4 integration easier than C3 trigonometry - also why?

Also, which topic did you find the hardest out of those chapters and why - was it the topic, the questions, the links to other chapters?

Volumes of revolution I just could not get my head around and so I think I lost about 8 marks on one question in the exam.

Trig is fairly easy when you practice enough.
For me personally, I think the difficulty of C3 trig and C4 integ was over hyped tbh.

Like its obv hard cuz its a step up from AS maths but I feel like some people just don't put in 100% effort as they think it will be easy like the year before.

But yeah C4 integration is easier for me but both still relatively calm
Reply 4
Original post by zayn008
C4 integration. Absolutely hate it.

Any specific parts of it or just the whole chapter?
Reply 5
Any specific parts of it or just the whole chapter?

Integration by parts (tedious), integration with respect to Y (guess it's not so bad once you get used to it). Just not a fan of integration in general, I much prefer differentiation and trig. I hate logs as well!
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Volumes of revolution I just could not get my head around and so I think I lost about 8 marks on one question in the exam.

Trig is fairly easy when you practice enough.

Interesting, I haven't come across that topic yet and I'm not looking forward to it either :colondollar:.
I also find those volumes and area stuff hard lol even at basic level (C2 just annoying). It's the application part which does my head in. Wow, 8 marks lol that's a lot so dangerous :/.
Reply 7
Original post by hellomynameisr
For me personally, I think the difficulty of C3 trig and C4 integ was over hyped tbh.

Like its obv hard cuz its a step up from AS maths but I feel like some people just don't put in 100% effort as they think it will be easy like the year before.

But yeah C4 integration is easier for me but both still relatively calm

Nice, I also feel C3 trigonometry is easier after you do it properly, but let's hope the same goes for integration.

Original post by zayn008
Integration by parts (tedious), integration with respect to Y (guess it's not so bad once you get used to it). Just not a fan of integration in general, I much prefer differentiation and trig. I hate logs as well!

Yeah, I'm starting integration by parts tomorrow and it looks very long lol. Integration is one thing you have to get used to lol or you're finished I feel. I used to hate logs :colondollar: now I don't mind. I love differentiation, has to be one of the best topics out there!
Reply 8
Back when I was doing it I think I found inverse trig questions the hardest, but they rarely came up in exams. Integration was always my favourite topic.
I hate Trigonometry and love Calculus, so I'd rather do C4 integration.

Saying that, C3 trig is waaaay easier than C4 integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel so left out 😕.
For AQA maths - integration is in C3 and a little part of trig is in C4.
Original post by notnek
Back when I was doing it I think I found inverse trig questions the hardest, but they rarely came up in exams. Integration was always my favourite topic.

I see, I am yet to do past papers properly, I hate exponential function questions in the exams lol particularly because I don't understand them. I'm kind of enjoying integration but I feel I'm doing it too fast and I make far too many mistakes, far too often.
Original post by Google22
I hate Trigonometry and love Calculus, so I'd rather do C4 integration.

Saying that, C3 trig is waaaay easier than C4 integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol :s-smilie:. I'm also feeling that integration will be harder, but it feels ok at the moment.

Original post by MajorFader
I feel so left out 😕.
For AQA maths - integration is in C3 and a little part of trig is in C4.

Sorry, I should've said for Edexcel even though any exam board can comment as the topics are mostly the same.
Which topic do you find the hardest?
Lol :s-smilie:. I'm also feeling that integration will be harder, but it feels ok at the moment.

Do you do further maths? Cause FP3 Integration absolutely takes it to a whole new level. As if finding the Volume of a revolution wasn't enough, we will now have to find the surface area of that volume and also length of the curve 😤

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you do further maths? Cause FP3 Integration absolutely takes it to a whole new level. As if finding the Volume of a revolution wasn't enough, we will now have to find the surface area of that volume and also length of the curve 😤

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I do further maths :P.
Though, I'm doing FP2, M2 and D2 next year because that's what the school does. But, the problem is my further maths teacher is new and this year is his first year teaching FP2, M2 and D2 so next year (and he is learning it himself whilst teaching it) when I learn it - he won't really know it properly since they're hard modules. Hence why I might self reach another module S3 maybe instead of D2 - this all depends on how D1 goes this year. I am practically self teaching all modules except mechanics because I find it hard lol.

FP3 is scary because it's got so many formulas just looks so intense. I'm hoping to try it out if anything :P but then I'd feel like taking the exam and I know I'll find it hard so it'll be a waste of time. I'm incredibly confused about next year I just find integration so dodgy!!

I really want A* in further maths but I'm also one of the laziest guys ever - I probably revise 3-4 hours a week lol. I know I'll have to change my work ethic but even then - will I be able to cope with the difficulty of the modules ? 🤔😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you do further maths? Cause FP3 Integration absolutely takes it to a whole new level. As if finding the Volume of a revolution wasn't enough, we will now have to find the surface area of that volume and also length of the curve 😤Well yes, but it's just new formulas to learn. (Added to which the resultant integrals tend to be a bit nastier than you get in C4).

Also, if you do all the mechanics modules you have to do all the center of gravity and moments of inertia integrals as well...
I hated the proving trig identities questions, mainly because we were told in class that some of them are just trial and error, but once I messed up the first attempt at proving them that's when the panic set in :afraid:
Original post by DylanJ42
I hated the proving trig identities questions, mainly because we were told in class that some of them are just trial and error, but once I messed up the first attempt at proving them that's when the panic set in :afraid:

lol I love proving trig identities. They're one of my favourites but they can be tough... 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol I love proving trig identities. They're one of my favourites but they can be tough... 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were okay to do in class etc, but when I turned the page in a past paper etc and seen "Show that tan4x = ..." I always got a "oh ****" feeling :laugh:
Reply 19
I'm incredibly confused about next year I just find integration so dodgy!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you find integration dodgy then you should just practice loads of questions on integration. That's really the only way to do it. You need to learn the tricks.

Quick Reply

Latest