Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

INFP (personality type) - Confused as to what to pursue... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I understand that I should not follow a personality type to a point and that everyone is different but after participating in one of the 16personalities tests, it gave me the personality of INFP (info about it: https://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality). Now, this hits the nail right on the head with me.

-I struggle tomake decisions for myself
    - I overthink almost everything
    - Will go out of my way to help others
    - Caring
    - Great listener
    - Quick to learn about things that interest me
    - Political injustice angers me
    - Try my best to understand everything political, not sure why; must just enjoy it
    - Love for animals
    - Environmentally conscious and passionate about protecting species

and am just lost at what to pursue...

I started to take an interest in psychology, but after researching the sheer lack of hope of finishing a degree and actually find any work related to your field, makes the work seem kinda pointless in the end. Perhaps in 4 years time when I actually finished whatever it is I wanted to study, there will be more careers in psychology but currently it seems to not be the case, don't know if you feel the same.

Now, my brother gave me the idea of perhaps pursuing radiology and I have got to admit, it seems quite good. Heard great things about it as a profession and then have heard bad things about it for students, with radiologists being rather ignorant toward students, etc.

Have done the Prospects career test, however it just tells me to do Nutritional Therapy, seemingly no matter what I put in... I don't believe money is important but being a Nutritional Therapist, seems like you would struggle to survive haha!

I don't know whether you have any ideas for someone like me, whether it is based off the INFP personality type (which in my opinion sums me up to a tee) or whether you can base something off my traits that I have given... I am just lost and looking for some help other than family telling me "just do whatever makes you happy" (possibly the worst advice ever for someone like me...)

Thanks,

Jon

ReputationRep:
    Don't rely too much on personality tests! They are there just to give you a direction.
    You should brainstorm and write a list on all the possible careers that could interest you. Maybe put them in order, start with what you would love to study to what you would consider your last resort. Then do some research for each of them.
    You love animals, so maybe veterinary? What about paramedics?

ReputationRep:
    Resident mbti geek on TSR.

INFPs are very creatively gifted. You could probably do anything that requires verbal dexterity.

Writing (Shakespeare, J.K Rowling, Kafka, and many, MANY more....)
    Comedy (Louis CK, Stephen Colbert, Hugh Laurie, Richard Pryor....)
    Acting (Tom Hiddlestone, Andrew Garfield....)

here http://www.celebritytypes.com/infp.php

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.