Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This post is on behalf of my partner.

After a 22 year career within the Police force, he has had to take medical discharge. His last position within the force was within the mental health team. He enjoyed this position that much he is looking between a new career within mental health counseling or within mental health itself.

However with all the experience he has got (which I personally think should override any collection of UCAS points) he hasn't got any qualifications. He has GCSE's (anything from C's and below and 2 GNVQ's in business. One being a foundation (merit) and the other being Intermediate (pass), he then left college and joined the prison Service and then onto the Police.

Now - looking at the new UCAS points system he needs 24 to do the foundation degree in MH....Does anyone know if GNVQ's hold any meaning or weight within the UCAS system? If not, how would he go about in obtaining points???

All help is greatly appreciated, I have tried looking for for a conversation chart with very little luck.

Thanking you in advance

Kate

ReputationRep:
    From what I can tell, NVQs aren't worth any UCAS points, sorry! However your husband could try the open university, it's a brilliant option. If he would like a physical degree 24 points isn't an awful lot and he could probably get this quite easily at a local college by doing a BTEC. You could maybe contact them for info on this
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EYgrad2016)
    This post is on behalf of my partner.

After a 22 year career within the Police force, he has had to take medical discharge. His last position within the force was within the mental health team. He enjoyed this position that much he is looking between a new career within mental health counseling or within mental health itself.

However with all the experience he has got (which I personally think should override any collection of UCAS points) he hasn't got any qualifications. He has GCSE's (anything from C's and below and 2 GNVQ's in business. One being a foundation (merit) and the other being Intermediate (pass), he then left college and joined the prison Service and then onto the Police.

Now - looking at the new UCAS points system he needs 24 to do the foundation degree in MH....Does anyone know if GNVQ's hold any meaning or weight within the UCAS system? If not, how would he go about in obtaining points???

All help is greatly appreciated, I have tried looking for for a conversation chart with very little luck.

Thanking you in advance

Kate
    UCAS points aren't the be all and end all of admissions - they're a tool provided by UCAS to allow easy comparison of different qualifications.

Universities decide who is eligible for entry onto their courses - in the case of mature students like your partner then it will be judged on a whole range of factors.

The best plan is for your partner to contact universities offering a course that he's interested in and asking them directly a) if there's any chance of getting a place for 2017 entry (the deadline for equal consideration has passed but that doesn't mean much for some courses/universities) and b) what sort of qualifications or experience they would expect to see from a successful applicant with his background.

For counselling qualifications there are a range of qualifications available (not all of them degrees/university level): http://www.bacp.co.uk/accreditation/...e%20Directory/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.