Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career choice: would it be great if we'd just have some kind of guidances? Watch

ReputationRep:
    1. Does your school have any program to help students with their career choice? Does it help and by how much?
    2. Do career guidances from others help at all? Besides your family and friends, who - school, teachers, field employees, random quizzes on the internet, job fairs, etc. - would be most instrumental in giving career guidance? How would that scenario play out?
    3. Have you decided on a career? How have you come to that decision?
    • Very Important Poster

Yes we had a careers master. These days you have national careers. com and numerous internet sites. Its up to the individual to use some initiative, not expect to be spoon fed and do some research. If you can find forums to complain on then you are competent to do some google searches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nguyen-Chuong)
    1. Does your school have any program to help students with their career choice? Does it help and by how much?
    2. Do career guidances from others help at all? Besides your family and friends, who - school, teachers, field employees, random quizzes on the internet, job fairs, etc. - would be most instrumental in giving career guidance? How would that scenario play out?
    1. My high school was useless. I remember we had a careers day where we had to dress up all smart but it was really pointless because all we did was take quizzes.
    2. The only thing I could rely on is doing research myself.
    3. I decided on my career by doing multiple work placements so I knew what I liked and didn't like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes we had a careers master. These days you have national careers. com and numerous internet sites. Its up to the individual to use some initiative, not expect to be spoon fed and do some research. If you can find forums to complain on then you are competent to do some google searches.
    Appreciate your input and the additional straightforward criticism, I'll keep it in mind, but these questions are specifically for you. I'm just a little curious about your approach to the issues, as well as the effectiveness of current tools for guidances out there - not so that I can use one, but so that I can see if I can come up with a better one (if needed).

On the other hand, I think one can totally "find forums to complain on" and "do some google searches" at the same time. The more the merrier.
    • Very Important Poster

Appreciate your input and the additional straightforward criticism, I'll keep it in mind, but these questions are specifically for you. I'm just a little curious about your approach to the issues, as well as the effectiveness of current tools for guidances out there - not so that I can use one, but so that I can see if I can come up with a better one (if needed).

On the other hand, I think one can totally "find forums to complain on" and "do some google searches" at the same time. The more the merrier.
    School was quite a while back for me, but:

1. Yes we had a careers master and I think 1 careers lesson a week from years 10-11. At the time I kind of made my own mind up. Dont think it did any harm and it made you focus on skills, but I would have decided on my own anyway.he did have a collection of books.

2. I just read some stuff from books and used the library. i watched TV as well. Oh and a family friend had a quick word with me, but id already made my mind up. In the modern world there is a wealth of information if you get off your bum and look. Fiends and adults should be listened to if they have direct experience.

3. Yes. I did some research decided it was interesting, so went for it. TV was one of my biggest influences.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean pre-university??? If so:

Secondary school:
    1. We had one compulsory careers one-on-one meeting with a careers advisor who was completely USELESS and tried to persuade everyone not to go to college (apparently my "perfect job" was a construction apprenticeship, because I'd mentioned a vague interest in engineering...).
    2. To be honest, careers advisors can only really help once you know what rough career area you are interested in - e.g. then they can recommend certain work experience opportunities or qualifications needed. At secondary school, I really didn't pay attention that much to any kind of careers guidance because there simply wasn't any (whether that's from school, teachers, parents, etc.)
    3. Nope...

Sixth Form:
    1. There was a whole careers department with at least three full time staff, lots of books on interview advice/ career sectors/ university prospectuses etc., computers, etc. and we could go at anytime to book a one-on-one careers appointment. They also organised regular talks giving advice on how to apply to particular sectors/ university courses, alternatives to university, creative careers, etc. They were absolutely fantastic in terms of going through application forms, pointing you in the right direction, etc. - but you did need to have some idea to start off with what you were interested in, and many students couldn't be bothered to go to the careers centre because it was all non-compulsory.
    2. They were really helpful in terms of checking through CVs, application forms, personal statements, etc. and also in recommending particular university courses you might be interested in.
    3. Nope...

(I'm now third year of my undergrad btw).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a little curious about the effectiveness of current tools for guidances out there - not so that I can use one, but so that I can see if I can come up with a better one (if needed).
    Have you looked at http://www.plotr.co.uk/ - it's the most thorough tool I've come across (although far from perfect or complete - I got animator in my top 10 :confused: )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.