Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chinese military official says war with US becoming "practical reality" Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7550601.html

I saw this headline from the Independent, but remain sceptical after reading the article. I struggle to understand what China would hope to gain from an armed conflict with the United States, and I don't believe they'd be goaded into war by the remarks of a president that is believed to be a moron by a large percentage of the west. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    A fistfight with Trump involved would be glorious :catfight:

ReputationRep:
    The PRC does want the South China Sea but I highly doubt they're stupid enough to think they'd win a war with America. They could possibly inflict heavy damage to a US Navy carrier battle group with their long rang missiles but they have to know that the USA would respond with utter ferocity if this did happen. To stand any kind of chance against American forces in the Pacific, the PRC would have to knock out any USN carriers within striking distance & all the USMC & USAF bases in places like Japan & Guam. It's perhaps not impossible with enough missiles but the response of America would be apocalyptic & all the hard work the PRC has done over the past 20-30 years would rapidly come undone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    The PRC does want the South China Sea but I highly doubt they're stupid enough to think they'd win a war with America. They could possibly inflict heavy damage to a US Navy carrier battle group with their long rang missiles but they have to know that the USA would respond with utter ferocity if this did happen. To stand any kind of chance against American forces in the Pacific, the PRC would have to knock out any USN carriers within striking distance & all the USMC & USAF bases in places like Japan & Guam. It's perhaps not impossible with enough missiles but the response of America would be apocalyptic & all the hard work the PRC has done over the past 20-30 years would rapidly come undone.

Indeed, but aside from the question of whether they could win a war with America, I'd ask what they would hope to gain from a war in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7550601.html

I saw this headline from the Independent, but remain sceptical after reading the article. I struggle to understand what China would hope to gain from an armed conflict with the United States, and I don't believe they'd be goaded into war by the remarks of a president that is believed to be a moron by a large percentage of the west. What do you think?
    America would piss all over them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.