Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all non-believers, do you think that Church offers any non-religious benefits? Watch

Of course, the main reason people go to Church is to worship God, but we all know the idea that their exists a man in the sky controlling the Universe is complete nonsense, hence why many people think others who follow religions such as Christianity etc are nincompoops.

I know that there are people who take religion too far, but wherever you go and whatever you do, you will always get painfully eccentric people promoting whatever it is that gets them going. However, there must be benefits of going to Church even if you don't believe in God, in the same way a person seeks counselling therapy for times of difficulty, surely the Church has something to offer which could save the NHS a few bob.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    If i need treatment or counselling, I'd prefer the NHS over the Church.

Don't fancy having the brainwashing when I'm ill and vulnerable to being influenced.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    If i need treatment or counselling, I'd prefer the NHS over the Church.

Don't fancy having the brainwashing when I'm ill and vulnerable to being influenced.
    That's my point, I'm not religious nor do I go to church, and have similar views to you. But are we correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    Of course, the main reason people go to Church is to worship God...
    I wonder whether it is. And this seems the conclusion your argument leads toward but which you fight shy of making. There's perhaps too much passivity in that passive-aggression, oh dear. We could worship God at home or anywhere, prompting me to think that for many people their churchgoing confers extra-religious benefits of a kind that could yes be valuable to the unbeliever.

In an increasingly atomised society, the church is social: they have to welcome and accept you even if you be ever so 'umble, and perhaps especially then. I think as well that this is for many people one of the few opportunities they get to enjoy any kind of quiet contemplation, though it might be about anything. An unusual moment of stillness, the cellphones for once switched off. It's a chance to sing publicly, however bad your singing voice, and the music itself is often marvellous. And it's for many the one time in the week we find ourselves in an architecturally beautiful space. It's an opportunity to listen to a prepared talk given by someone often unusually highly educated and who will invite you to reflect on how the moral of his sermon bears on how you are living your life.

Most of what's listed here can be understood as therapeutic, even if only incidentally that, and some several of the items have direct analogues in the booming commercial market for therapy and "wellbeing". Churches are as well a social glue: for playgroups and coffee mornings, harvest festival and fetes with tombolas. This seems the more important as people are living longer and village pubs and post offices are closing all over. Very useful, then.

Church is great. I've persuaded myself to go more often :tea:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.