Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting journalism in September. I'm pretty sure I start on the 5th, but there has been a holiday booked for the 20th. The 20th is a Tuesday so it means I would miss 4 days on uni. Would I miss much considering it's right at the start? Would they be angry with me (Napier ) thanks

ReputationRep:
    i think you should have booked the holiday after u found out when you start but missing 4 days seems a bit too much then again it's first year so you could probably catch up, idk what the hours are like for a journalism degree tho is it a lot? they probably wouldn't be happy but i doubt they'll chase you up for since you chose to be there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNU)
    I'll be starting journalism in September. I'm pretty sure I start on the 5th, but there has been a holiday booked for the 20th. The 20th is a Tuesday so it means I would miss 4 days on uni. Would I miss much considering it's right at the start? Would they be angry with me (Napier ) thanks

Hi,

Obviously, missing any university is not advised, but if there’s absolutely no way you can go then the best thing to do is just tell your tutors. When I was ill at the University of Derby, the tutors were very helpful and gave me any information that I missed, that wouldn’t be available on course resources. Make sure you are completely caught up before you go back so that tutors know you are dedicated to the course. Whatever you do, don’t just turn up without emailing the tutors, make sure they are aware that you’re not going to be there and maybe ask for a 1 to 1 session with them to catch up.

Hope this helps,

Molly

ReputationRep:
    I mean going on holiday on the 5th you might have got awat with it but why did you book a holiday when it was almost certain you'd be at uni ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNU)
    I'll be starting journalism in September. I'm pretty sure I start on the 5th, but there has been a holiday booked for the 20th. The 20th is a Tuesday so it means I would miss 4 days on uni. Would I miss much considering it's right at the start? Would they be angry with me
    I wouldn't advise missing anything that early on in your degree. You can miss crucial sessions on things like how to reference, how to find and use the full range of library resources etc. These things can haunt you for the rest of your degree and worst case, can affect your grades.

Plus of course social groups will be forming and you'll be parachuted into those, cold.

A week can be a long time in that kind of hot-house environment. It's not really whether your uni will be " angry" (unless they have attendance rules or statutory things like enrollment which you *must* do to get Student Finance - you should check that out), but how hard you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by going on holiday when you should be starting your new life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyanne98)
    Hi,

Obviously, missing any university is not advised, but if there’s absolutely no way you can go then the best thing to do is just tell your tutors. When I was ill at the University of Derby, the tutors were very helpful and gave me any information that I missed, that wouldn’t be available on course resources. Make sure you are completely caught up before you go back so that tutors know you are dedicated to the course. Whatever you do, don’t just turn up without emailing the tutors, make sure they are aware that you’re not going to be there and maybe ask for a 1 to 1 session with them to catch up.

Hope this helps,

Molly
    Lol, any student of mine who asked for a 1-to-1 session with me, in addition to the provided class hours, because they went off on holidays would be quickly told where to go.
    I would say however that calling by a lecturer's office hour(s) to discuss anything you missed could be a good idea - which is different to asking for your own private session, since the office hour is a resource anyone can avail of.

To the OP: bit silly to book a holiday for a period when it was very likely you'd be in uni. But if you can't get out of it, then just make sure to stay on top of the work, be sure to email tutors to excuse your absence (and maybe drop by an office hour, as above), and make sure you didn't miss any useful sessions such as the ones Klix mentioned, and if so have a plan to catch up on those.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.