Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a long one so please bear with me...

I started studying BSc (Honours) Computing and IT in 2015. This was 60 credits a year and my first module was: TU100 - My Digital Life. I started off really well and enjoyed it, getting 90%+ in the first 3 TMA's. It was after this where I lost interest quickly and also had a career change which took up most of my time. I was doing TMA's the night before deadline whilst doing little to no studying in between. I inevitably failed to submit my last two TMA's resulting in failing the module. Looking back at it now I feel I chose the wrong subject as I lacked interest in IT as a subject and just saw it as better job prospects, and prioritised a career as a Prison Officer over my dream job as a Teacher as it sort of fell into my lap. I admit it, i screwed up!

So what i want to know is:

1) Can I change my subject. I have a real passion and interest in Astronomy and Planetary Science. So i would like to change to a BSc (Honours) Natural Science (Astronomy and Planetary Science)

2) Will I still be funded with a Student Loan (England) I read the fund 3 years + 1 extra year but just want to make sure there's no small print I've missed like: it has to be the same course or unless you fail etc.

3) What are peoples thoughts on the Natural Science modules who are currently studying.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmandan90)

I started studying BSc (Honours) Computing and IT in 2015. This was 60 credits a year and my first module was: TU100 - My Digital Life. I started off really well and enjoyed it, getting 90%+ in the first 3 TMA's. It was after this where I lost interest quickly and also had a career change which took up most of my time. I was doing TMA's the night before deadline whilst doing little to no studying in between. I inevitably failed to submit my last two TMA's resulting in failing the module. Looking back at it now I feel I chose the wrong subject as I lacked interest in IT as a subject and just saw it as better job prospects, and prioritised a career as a Prison Officer over my dream job as a Teacher as it sort of fell into my lap. I admit it, i screwed up!

1) Can I change my subject. I have a real passion and interest in Astronomy and Planetary Science. So i would like to change to a BSc (Honours) Natural Science (Astronomy and Planetary Science)

2) Will I still be funded with a Student Loan (England) I read the fund 3 years + 1 extra year but just want to make sure there's no small print I've missed like: it has to be the same course or unless you fail etc.

3) What are peoples thoughts on the Natural Science modules who are currently studying.

2) The 3 years +1 doesn't count for the OU because OU is part time, so that won't matter. Everyone gets a contingency for starting again, so you should be ok to start again and still be funded for your first year again. Especially as you didn't actually complete that module. You can take up to 4 years on level 1 with the OU, so you should still have the finding available to you as it is based on amount of time spent in HE, rather than the level studied at.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Have you considered Birkbeck instead of the OU? They offer a much better and more comprehensive online/distance learning part-time degree in Planetary Science than the OU.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2017/unde...mes/UBSPSAST_C
    http://www.distancelearninggeology.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Have you considered Birkbeck instead of the OU? They offer a much better and more comprehensive online/distance learning part-time degree in Planetary Science than the OU.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2017/unde...mes/UBSPSAST_C
    http://www.distancelearninggeology.org/
    Had a good look at that and it sounds great although i imagine I would not be given the opportunity based on my current qualifications as i did not study A-Level. Unless the Distance Learning aspect is similar to OU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    2) The 3 years +1 doesn't count for the OU because OU is part time, so that won't matter. Everyone gets a contingency for starting again, so you should be ok to start again and still be funded for your first year again. Especially as you didn't actually complete that module. You can take up to 4 years on level 1 with the OU, so you should still have the finding available to you as it is based on amount of time spent in HE, rather than the level studied at.
    That sounds good thanks for that, I will call them later on today Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Had a good look at that and it sounds great although i imagine I would not be given the opportunity based on my current qualifications as i did not study A-Level. Unless the Distance Learning aspect is similar to OU?
    When I spoke to them about entry requirements they said they're pretty flexible, a GCSE in Science will be useful but they are willing to consider applications from people with any qualifications, and even no qualifications. Give them a bell and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    you can change at any time but it is possible that sfe is limited to the equivalent of 3 years + 1. But you can double up your modules to reduce the study time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.