Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm a new student at Southwell, and I wondered what are the pros and cons of this hall?
    And is there a chance to change to another hall at the Uni park,as I'll be studying languages and it would be more convenient to be living there.
    Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    Pro's - there's a heater in the room. Cons - you feel like you're in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCashandCarry)
    Pro's - there's a heater in the room. Cons - you feel like you're in prison.
    Well,at least a heated prison 😁
    Still, do you know if there a possibility of moving to another hall?

ReputationRep:
    I lived Newark until Christmas last year, the hall opposite yours, and they're pretty much the same so hopefully I can answer. A really good pro is that you can eat anywhere on either campus using your meal card, which was useful if I was on uni park and wouldn't get back before the end of the day. They also clean your room, which is either a con or a pro. The way the rooms are set up are a bit anti-social but there is a JCR and people in my accommodation always hung out there. The transport to uni park is really convenient during weekdays, its a three minute walk from the halls. During the weekends its not as frequent which can be annoying. There's cafes, libraries and a student union shop on campus and a starbucks, lidl and greggs nearby. You can request to change halls by notifying your warden, which is done through his assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    I lived Newark until Christmas last year, the hall opposite yours, and they're pretty much the same so hopefully I can answer. A really good pro is that you can eat anywhere on either campus using your meal card, which was useful if I was on uni park and wouldn't get back before the end of the day. They also clean your room, which is either a con or a pro. The way the rooms are set up are a bit anti-social but there is a JCR and people in my accommodation always hung out there. The transport to uni park is really convenient during weekdays, its a three minute walk from the halls. During the weekends its not as frequent which can be annoying. There's cafes, libraries and a student union shop on campus and a starbucks, lidl and greggs nearby. You can request to change halls by notifying your warden, which is done through his assistant.
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DashaKasha)
    Hello! I'm a new student at Southwell, and I wondered what are the pros and cons of this hall?
    And is there a chance to change to another hall at the Uni park,as I'll be studying languages and it would be more convenient to be living there.
    Thanks 😊
    It would be more convenient for you to move to UP somehow, but I don't think it's the end of the world living at JC, I know some people who live there or Raleigh Park next door and are happy to make the journey. I think the reason was because Southwell has more ensuite rooms? If so then that would be a big plus since most halls on UP don't have as many ensuite rooms.

One thing is neither JC hall has its own dining room so you'll have to go to the Atrium for breakfast and dinner which is just opposite both halls but someone I know at Southwell says she hardly has breakfast since it requires going outside!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.