The Student Room Group

PBL and integrated courses

What is the difference between PBL (Problem-Based Learning) medical courses and integrated medical courses?
Reply 1
PBL is group based and you learn by researching around a problem, such as being given a patient with a specific disease that you then need to learn about. Integrated courses use this with traditional lectures. PBL courses are likely to still have lectures, but more learning will be based in groups.

Overall, each university will be different in its teaching style, even if you take just PBL/integrated universities. You can normally find out about this on their website or open days, so I would suggest researching the ones that you want to go to in order to see what suits you the best.
Reply 2
Original post by ax12
PBL is group based and you learn by researching around a problem, such as being given a patient with a specific disease that you then need to learn about. Integrated courses use this with traditional lectures. PBL courses are likely to still have lectures, but more learning will be based in groups.

Overall, each university will be different in its teaching style, even if you take just PBL/integrated universities. You can normally find out about this on their website or open days, so I would suggest researching the ones that you want to go to in order to see what suits you the best.

This was helpful thank you! What about CBL? I think my Uni is CBL and integrated (if that is a thing ;o)
Reply 3
Original post by ax12

This was helpful thank you! What about CBL? I think my Uni is CBL and integrated (if that is a thing ;o)
Reply 4
Original post by Plato1

I would assume it's similar to where I am - group work sessions with questions based around a case, which consolidate your learning in lectures :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ax12

Thx for the info! Was really helpful! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest