Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the specific grade boundaries for mathematics A Level Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying maths A Level, and I have a small query about the grading system.

Say I have the following grades for the full Mathematics A Level:

C1: 100
    C2: 100
    M1: 100

C3; 79
    C4: 79
    M2: 79

The AS Grade is 300, which is above the boundry for an A (240).

To achieve full marks at A level, you require 480/600 marks, I have 537, but I do not have 240 marks in my A2 modules.

My question is, do the A2 marks also have to be above 240?

I ask because I can achieve the 480 marks given that I have 270 from AS Level, But if I only have 210 in my A2 level modules, I'm not sure whether i'd get an A.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    I'm currently studying maths A Level, and I have a small query about the grading system.

Say I have the following grades for the full Mathematics A Level:

C1: 100
    C2: 100
    M1: 100

C3; 79
    C4: 79
    M2: 79

The AS Grade is 300, which is above the boundry for an A (240).

To achieve full marks at A level, you require 480/600 marks, I have 537, but I do not have 240 marks in my A2 modules.

My question is, do the A2 marks also have to be above 240?

I ask because I can achieve the 480 marks given that I have 270 from AS Level, But if I only have 210 in my A2 level modules, I'm not sure whether i'd get an A.
    The A grade is only dependent on getting 480/600 overall, which you have done. So you have an A.

If you're also wondering about the A*, you can only get that if you get above 180 UMS in total in C3 and C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    The A grade is only dependent on getting 480/600 overall, which you have done. So you have an A.

If you're also wondering about the A*, you can only get that if you get above 180 UMS in total in C3 and C4.
    These aren't my actual A Level results, I was using them as examples of values over and under 240.

My actual A level results were

C1: 79
    C2: 99
    C3: 87
    C4: 77

M1: 72
    M2: 60

This should come to 474, but since they used M2 to boost my further maths AS, They used the S1 exam which I didn't bother revising for. (Big mistake)

Obviously my first course of action should be to retake C1 and gain the 6 easy marks for my A, But the sum of my C3 , C4 and M2 marks wouldn't equal 240, which is where the problem lies.

Now that I know it will be an A given my S1 exam is done right, I no longer have to worry about doing M2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    These aren't my actual A Level results, I was using them as examples of values over and under 240.

My actual A level results were

C1: 79
    C2: 99
    C3: 87
    C4: 77

M1: 72
    M2: 60

This should come to 474, but since they used M2 to boost my further maths AS, They used the S1 exam which I didn't bother revising for. (Big mistake)

Obviously my first course of action should be to retake C1 and gain the 6 easy marks for my A, But the sum of my C3 , C4 and M2 marks wouldn't equal 240, which is where the problem lies.

Now that I know it will be an A given my S1 exam is done right, I no longer have to worry about doing M2
    OK so the total of your C1 - C4 plus M1 is 414? So what was S1?

The total UMS must be 480 or more to get a grade A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.