Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can 1 A, 4 B's and 5 C's get me into a Russell Group University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    I don't blame you; I did 5 AS Levels and had to drop to 3 A2s. That's a good mix though.

Sussex is also pretty staunch with their entry requirements, where other places do tend to lower it if you have extenuating circumstances at all. Might be worth considering, I suppose. UEA I have heard is better with that, comparatively.

Of course, the success of the course puts the grade boundaries into perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can get into some very top universities with those GCSE grades. I did not get the best GCSEs (6 Bs) but I have offers from Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and QMUL.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got 5's Bs 3C's and 2 D's and got 4 offers from Russell Group universities( all of the ones I applied to) ,atlhough I got AAAB at AS and predicted all A's for A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiafitz16)
    Of course, the success of the course puts the grade boundaries into perspective.
    More demand than actual quality, but something like that, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, a typical offer is with AAA. That's a massive reality check ekkk.
    I notice that it is AAB if you study American Literature [and Creative Writing] : https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...eative-writing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrolivia)
    Well I got 5's Bs 3C's and 2 D's and got 4 offers from Russell Group universities( all of the ones I applied to) ,atlhough I got AAAB at AS and predicted all A's for A-Level.
    What subjects are you doing for A2 ? What subjectcafe you applying for at uni?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs really are not that important for the average student going to uni, incl. Russell Group. I think all of the unis I applied for are in the RG (never checked but I know 3 of them are at least) and I have conditional offers from them all - with the GCSE grades 2A 5B 2C 1D.

That D is even in the subject (German) I tend to do at uni (but I made up for it with an A in AS German lol), they really do not care as much as the snobs of TSR would have people think.

Obvious exceptions are medicine, oxbridge etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im sure you'll get in, unis like improvement!! gcses don't matter too much

your A2 predictions are quite good so thats all tht matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    GCSEs really are not that important for the average student going to uni, incl. Russell Group. I think all of the unis I applied for are in the RG (never checked but I know 3 of them are at least) and I have conditional offers from them all - with the GCSE grades 2A 5B 2C 1D.

That D is even in the subject (German) I tend to do at uni (but I made up for it with an A in AS German lol), they really do not care as much as the snobs of TSR would have people think.

Obvious exceptions are medicine, oxbridge etc.
    What are you predicted for A2? What subjects are you doing for A level? What grade did you get in them at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What are you predicted for A2? What subjects are you doing for A level? What grade did you get in them at GCSE?
    I already have 1 A-Level at an A grade (Sociology), and I think I'm predicted AB for German & Philosophy.

I didn't do Sociology at GCSE nor Philosophy technically, but the RS course I did at GCSE was RS: Philosophy & Ethics, so if we count that I got an A, but I wouldn't like to as A-Level is so much more difficult than that, on a whole other spectrum. There is actually a RS: Philosophy & Ethics course as well which is closer to the GCSE, but I am just doing pure Philosophy.

Whyyyy

ReputationRep:
    Can 1 A, 4 B's and 5 C's get me into a Russell Group University?
    Yes, yes, absolutely yes. You could have 2 Us and a fail in Level 1 BTEC hair and beauty and still easily get into a Russell Group uni or even Oxbridge for that matter.
    That is, of course, if you have sparkling AS levels OR, worst case scenario, you take a year out after A Levels. Just get your A levels and forget about your GCSEs for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I already have 1 A-Level at an A grade (Sociology), and I think I'm predicted AB for German & Philosophy.

I didn't do Sociology at GCSE nor Philosophy technically, but the RS course I did at GCSE was RS: Philosophy & Ethics, so if we count that I got an A, but I wouldn't like to as A-Level is so much more difficult than that, on a whole other spectrum. There is actually a RS: Philosophy & Ethics course as well which is closer to the GCSE, but I am just doing pure Philosophy.

Whyyyy
    Oh right, okay because essays aren't really for me, so I like seeing someone who has roughly the same gcse grades as me despite they fact they may have a higher grade in English or not. If that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    AS : Law, Politics, English Language, Sociology
    A2 Law, Politics, Sociology
    Applied for Law at University

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Creative writing now, a year early. Then doing both A2 in English Literature and Psychology. I want to apply for English Literature and/with Creative Writing.

ReputationRep:
    I think for some (if not all) Russel Group uni's you need two facilitating subjects

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.