Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The uni which I will be firming/insuring (haven't decided yet) is in Scotland and I'm eligible to have my tuition fees paid for by SAAS, as well as being eligible for a maintenance loan. I'm also eligible for a SFE maintenance loan which is much higher (by about 2000GBP) than SAAS's. The SAAS loan would not be enough to support me at uni, but the SFE would.

Can I apply to both, ie. have tuition fees paid for by SAAS and maintenance loan from SFE?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trythis)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The uni which I will be firming/insuring (haven't decided yet) is in Scotland and I'm eligible to have my tuition fees paid for by SAAS, as well as being eligible for a maintenance loan. I'm also eligible for a SFE maintenance loan which is much higher (by about 2000GBP) than SAAS's. The SAAS loan would not be enough to support me at uni, but the SFE would.

Can I apply to both, ie. have tuition fees paid for by SAAS and maintenance loan from SFE?
    It depends on your residence. Do you live in England or Scotland? If it's England you apply through SFE, if Scotland it's SAAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It depends on your residence. Do you live in England or Scotland? If it's England you apply through SFE, if Scotland it's SAAS.
    I've lived in England for >5 years which makes me eligible for SFE, but I'm an EU student and eligible for SAAS as well.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in England for >5 years which makes me eligible for SFE, but I'm an EU student and eligible for SAAS as well.
    Not if you live in England, afaik.

Eitherway you definitely can't mix and match.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can't apply to both. It sounds as though you're eligible for SFE and not SAAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can't apply to both. It sounds as though you're eligible for SFE and not SAAS.
    I spoke with a SAAS representative recently, I'm definitely eligible for SAAS funding. Shame I can't apply for both, I guess I'll have to figure out a way to live off SAAS's maintenance loan then
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I spoke with a SAAS representative recently, I'm definitely eligible for SAAS funding. Shame I can't apply for both, I guess I'll have to figure out a way to live off SAAS's maintenance loan then
    Can't you apply via SFE - you have the higher fees but they are covered by their tuition fee loan?

(I have no idea if this is permitted - just a suggestion...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.