The Student Room Group

No structure, support or tutors for my classes.

In short: I took some time off Uni. When I got back the course structure had changed. I have to teach myself two level 6 modules. Which is not ideal, but possible. However, I am in week two now and have no textbooks and no support for my modules whatsoever. For one of the modules there are no reading materials on my learning environment and no online tutorial recordings. I have no tutors I can direct queries to as no one answers anything. They are happy to take my tuition fees but not happy to provide any support in return. Is this breach of contract? I have had enough, but what can I do? I have only these two terms to complete my course.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it depends why you took time off, if it was for illness and you can prove that i'd take that to head of department and get support sorted. If it was because you just felt like having a holiday and couldn't be bothered going in...thats another matter.

This is why it's important to attend as much as possible because the structure of the course can and does change half way through sometimes.. Not even uni/tutor records the tutorials..I know none of mine are recorded.

As for being a breach of contract did you contact them about not being in providing reasons and evidence? If you just didn't turn up for ages they probably assumed you didn't want to be there anymore so stopped making things accessible for you...after all.. why would they if they don't think you're coming back?
Reply 2
Heya, thanks for your response. Yeah they were deferrals due to medical grounds (and all authorised etc). They are just taking a long time with sorting everything out and it's getting a bit frustrating. Especially as it's the final year. Just a worry to have to self-teach and all that. Since writing this I have had contact with them and they are trying to sort it, so I guess all I can do is wait. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by CherieF
In short: I took some time off Uni. When I got back the course structure had changed. I have to teach myself two level 6 modules. Which is not ideal, but possible. However, I am in week two now and have no textbooks and no support for my modules whatsoever. For one of the modules there are no reading materials on my learning environment and no online tutorial recordings. I have no tutors I can direct queries to as no one answers anything. They are happy to take my tuition fees but not happy to provide any support in return. Is this breach of contract? I have had enough, but what can I do? I have only these two terms to complete my course.

If you took time off for medical reasons and the uni was aware of this (which you say they were) then this is pretty unacceptable IMO. Do your lecturers usually provide lecture notes and recommended reading? If so, it shouldn't be that difficult for them to just email you the notes and reading list. If the lecturers aren't replying to your emails then get in touch with the head of department ASAP. Go an knock on their office door evert day until they sort it out lol...

Do you also have someone you are in contact with regarding helping you settle in after being away from uni for so long? It's surprising they'd even advise you to come back if they didn't have a procedure in place to ensure you would be able to catch up in time for exams, in my uni students who miss significant portions of the year are advised to take the year off and start again the next year.

However, there are some things you can be doing yourself right now - for example asking your classmates for their notes or recommended reading, just finding a relevant textbook in the library and reading through the chapters on the topic (even if it turns out it's not the exact textbook on the reading list, at least you'll have covered the basics), etc. :smile:

Quick Reply