Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so upset by Trump's immigration policies? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that many people in this country are being whipped into a frenzy by the media. Trump hating equals big hits for news websites, which result in big money from online advertising.

Australia have had an incredibly strict policy on immigration for as long as I can remember and even go as far as to fire warning shots from their Navy at immigration boats. Yet no one complains or even cares.

Fast forward to 2017 and Trump suggests tightening immigration controls to secure the country both financially and from a safety perspective and everyone loses their minds.

My question is why? Why are people so quick to become hysterical about Trump while not batting an eyelid about other countries with strict immigration laws? Surely it is the prerogative of the country to define their own immigration laws?

It feels as though this country is being sucked into a black hole of sensationalism and hysteria.

ReputationRep:
    There is a slight difference between stringent immegration controls and outright banning and entire subsection of people

ReputationRep:
    Really? Americans acting sensationalist and hysterical?

Stop the ****ing presses.

ReputationRep:
    :thumbsdown: Trump.

Argh

ReputationRep:
    bill clinton wanted to build a wall

Obama wanted to stop immigration from Iran and Iraq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraall)
    There is a slight difference between stringent immegration controls and outright banning and entire subsection of people
    This^^^^^^^ so much.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    The problem is that the USA is a liberal democracy, founded on the principles of freedom of religion, and (to some extent) is committed to free trade. A ban that explicitly targets Muslims is a pretty massive departure from that, and from most western democracies. So yeah, difference is between banning immigration from dangerous countries (which would be OK) and banning immigration that targets a religion.

Having said that, I totally agree about the sensationalism. British people seem more interested/active in US politics than domestic politics, and yet there's very little they can do to influence it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's due to the media.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that many people in this country are being whipped into a frenzy by the media. Trump hating equals big hits for news websites, which result in big money from online advertising.

Australia have had an incredibly strict policy on immigration for as long as I can remember and even go as far as to fire warning shots from their Navy at immigration boats. Yet no one complains or even cares.

Fast forward to 2017 and Trump suggests tightening immigration controls to secure the country both financially and from a safety perspective and everyone loses their minds.

My question is why? Why are people so quick to become hysterical about Trump while not batting an eyelid about other countries with strict immigration laws? Surely it is the prerogative of the country to define their own immigration laws?

It feels as though this country is being sucked into a black hole of sensationalism and hysteria.
    Most non-western nations have far stricter immigration policies than anything Trump is proposing. Israel has had a strict vetting policy towards foreign muslim vistors for a number of years. It is also very difficult for non-jews to gain citizenship.

Conversely, in many Islamic countries, including Saudi Arabia and Iran, it is virtually impossible for a non-muslim to gain citizenship or permanent residency.

Japan has a very strict immigration policy explicitly intended to preserve their "ethnic and cultural purity".

Mexico also has extremely strict laws against illegal immigration, they are even building their own wall on the Guatemalan border (so they are utterly hypocritical to be criticising America's proposed border wall and policies towards illegal Mexican migrants).

Nobody bats an eye at any of these nation's immigration policies, but the second a white/Western nation attempts to implement similar policies to protect and preserve their own people, all hell breaks loose and lefties start screeching. It's pathetic.

(Original post by Professor Oak)
    The problem is that the USA is a liberal democracy, founded on the principles of freedom of religion, and (to some extent) is committed to free trade. A ban that targets Muslim's explicitly is a pretty massive departure from that, and from most western democracies. So yeah, difference is between banning immigration from dangerous countries (which would be OK) and banning immigration that targets a religion.

Having said that, I totally agree about the sensationalism. British people seem more interested/active in US politics that domestic politics, and yet there's very little they can do to influence it.
    But it isn't explicity targeting muslims, it's targeting a select few countries that happen to be majority Islamic. Any muslims from outside of these countries are still free to enter the US and apply for visas as normal.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    But it isn't explicity targeting muslims, it's targeting a select few countries that happen to be majority Islamic. Any muslims from outside of these countries are still free to enter the US and apply for visas as normal.
    I mean, every country on the list is majority muslim. One of his closest allies is quoted as Trump wanting to shutdown all muslim immigration, and Trump himself has implied the same in his campaign.

It clearly is targeting muslim majority countries with unstable/anti-liberal sentiment. But I agree with what you said about muslims from other countries being free to come and go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraall)
    For a few months

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Israel has had an outright entry ban on people from several Islamic nations for years.
    Proof please.
    It is also very difficult for non-jews to gain citizenship.
    Why it should be easy?

ReputationRep:
    I do t oarticular,y care and verge on sympathetic- though the guardian amongst others are right to note that places like Saudi Arabia are exempt when they are probably the worst culprit but hey ho they have oil and money.

His views on torture though are unsavoury to say the least and should draw far more outrage than banning entry to muslims...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I mean, every country on the list is majority muslim. One of his closest allies is quoted as Trump wanting to shutdown all muslim immigration, and Trump himself has implied the same in his campaign.

It clearly is targeting muslim majority countries with unstable/anti-liberal sentiment. But I agree with what you said about muslims from other countries being free to come and go.
    As far as I'm aware the majority of terrorist attacks in the Western world in the last 15 years have been carried out by Muslims in the name of Islam. But we're very quick to point out that not all muslims are bad, right?

So doesn't it make sense to any rational person that when banning the highest risk countries that most would be a majority muslim? It's not personal, it's just statistics.

Lefties are happy to claim it's coincidence that most/all terrorist attacks are carried out in the name of Islam. Should we then not offer Trump the same benefit of the doubt when choosing countries for restricted access? He's picking the countries most likely to execute a terrorist attack on US soil, and he's doing so without considering religion.

What reason do any of us have to be upset by this?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    What reason do any of us have to be upset by this?
    Because people who have permanent residence in the US have been immediately separated from their families, jobs, pets etc and stranded at airports.

As for the statistics, I'm not sure whether that's true or not. But a fair number of sources point to the desired target being muslims, not simply people from dangerous countries.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Because people who have permanent residence in the US have been immediately separated from their families, jobs, pets etc and stranded at airports.

As for the statistics, I'm not sure whether that's true or not. But a fair number of sources point to the desired target being muslims, not simply people from dangerous countries.
    So you concede there is no evidence to support your argument then? Thus proving my point from my last post and my OP.

Trump has the right to close his borders as he sees fit for the betterment of the financial security and overall safety of his countries. We have established that many countries already do this far more strictly than Trump is suggesting and no one seems to care. We have also established that there is zero evidence he is doing this simply because he doesn't like muslims!

So, back to the original question, why are people getting so upset? He's done nothing wrong. Are people's lives in the UK so perfect that we can get so upset over this ridiculous issue? Is our country so perfect that we can spend so much of our time whining and crying and getting hysterical every time Trump so much as blinks?

Watching all this hysteria makes me sad for what this country has become.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Actually that was your argument about the statistics... I just said I wasn't sure if that was true or not. I highly doubt it's true in the US, where most terror incidents are home grown!

There is a fair amount of evidence about him targeting muslims rather than just dangerous countries. I mean, in reality he's targetted dangerous countries that are also mostly muslim. But his rhetoric/leaks from his allies suggest he was more interested in the latter than the former. Take from it what you like, though.

In any case, I agree about the sensationalism - but despite this I do think there is a real issue too for liberalism in america.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, diddums snowflake!

This is a complete confection of media outrage. Risible.

FDR (now regarded as one of America's greatest Presidents) locked up more than 110,000 US citizens of Japanese ancestry for the entire duration of the second world war.

ReputationRep:
    Trump is throwing out people who have already been vetted, who already have green cards and visas. He's throwing out people who have jobs and children in America. Can you imagine if you took a weekend holiday in another country, and then discovered that you wouldn't be able to work or see your family for the next three months, if not indefinitely? Of course you'd be upset!

ReputationRep:
    The ban is for 90 days , idek wht the point of it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.