Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so upset by Trump's immigration policies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because the liberal left care more about the feelings of potential terrorists than the safety of their own people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    Proof please.
    My mistake, there isn't any outright bans, though they do appear to have a strict vetting policy towards any foreign vistors they know or suspect to be muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so JUST because there are many more terrorist groups popping up in these countries and we can expect ISIS (or whatever their names are) to carry on attacking populated areas in America and Europe, Trump decided to ban them!!!! This clearly makes Trump a racist and a homophobe and a Islamaphobe! We should allow these people from these countries to come in and just ask them politely if they are terrorists or not! #MediaControlsUs
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Trump isn't doing this to protect Americans, he's done this for two reasons: 1. to appeal to and shore up his core supporters and 2. to distract the media/Americans from a much more serious problem, namely his business affairs, his many conflicts of interest and his refusal to setup a blind trust.

(Original post by kalclash)
    He's picking the countries most likely to execute a terrorist attack on US soil, and he's doing so without considering religion.
    Except he hasn't. Between 1975 and 2015, not a single American has been killed on US soil by citizens from the banned countries, whereas in the same time period almost 3000 Americans were killed by citizens of the non-banned countries. Trump picked Muslim-majority countries where he doesn't have any business interests, don't you find that strange?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Trump isn't doing this to protect Americans, he's done this for two reasons: 1. to appeal to and shore up his core supporters and 2. to distract the media/Americans from a much more serious problem, namely his business affairs, his many conflicts of interest and his refusal to setup a blind trust.

Except he hasn't. Between 1975 and 2015, not a single American has been killed on US soil by citizens from the banned countries, whereas in the same time period almost 3000 Americans were killed by citizens of the non-banned countries. Trump picked Muslim-majority countries where he doesn't have any business interests, don't you find that strange?
    When you look at the international terrorism landscape, it is undeniable that the largest non-domestic terrorism threat comes from the countries he is banning.

I agree that the US has big domestic issues that need to be addressed, namely gun laws, but this is a completely separate issue to what is being discussed here and has no relevance to this argument.

It would be fully remiss of a country leader to not recognise the external terror threat. Especially when that country is at war with ISIS - a war that Obama and Bush have spent decades bombing plenty of innocent muslims by the way with nowhere near the level of hysteria, or any hysteria at all. How many muslim deaths are Obama and Bush responsible for? I doubt anyone knows because no one seems to care because their name isn't Donald Trump.

Trump is doing what he feels he needs to to prevent an external terror attack. The same people that are up in arms about him doing this, would be the first to point fingers if he did nothing and the US suffered another large scale terror attack akin to 9/11.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    When you look at the international terrorism landscape, it is undeniable that the largest non-domestic terrorism threat comes from the countries he is banning.
    There isn't any evidence to supports this. The 9/11 bombers came from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Lebanon - none of these countries are on the ban list (and Trump has business dealings in all four). Where is the evidence that citizens from the banned countries are a threat to America?

I agree that the US has big domestic issues that need to be addressed, namely gun laws, but this is a completely separate issue to what is being discussed here and has no relevance to this argument.
    I didn't say anything about guns or other domestic issues, I said Trump is doing this to distract attention away from his (probable) breaking of the US Constitution by refusing to set up a blind trust. Of course that is relevant.

Trump is doing what he feels he needs to to prevent an external terror attack. The same people that are up in arms about him doing this, would be the first to point fingers if he did nothing and the US suffered another large scale terror attack akin to 9/11.
    No he isn't - he is doing this to protect his position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Aww, diddums snowflake!

This is a complete confection of media outrage. Risible.

FDR (now regarded as one of America's greatest Presidents) locked up more than 110,000 US citizens of Japanese ancestry for the entire duration of the second world war.
    I'd like to think we've moved on a bit since the 1940s, eh?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware the majority of terrorist attacks in the Western world in the last 15 years have been carried out by Muslims in the name of Islam. But we're very quick to point out that not all muslims are bad, right?

So doesn't it make sense to any rational person that when banning the highest risk countries that most would be a majority muslim? It's not personal, it's just statistics.

Lefties are happy to claim it's coincidence that most/all terrorist attacks are carried out in the name of Islam. Should we then not offer Trump the same benefit of the doubt when choosing countries for restricted access? He's picking the countries most likely to execute a terrorist attack on US soil, and he's doing so without considering religion.

What reason do any of us have to be upset by this?
    It depends what you mean by terrorism
    If you require deaths then yes
    If you use the full definition then no (this would include groups like blm and antifa)

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that many people in this country are being whipped into a frenzy by the media. Trump hating equals big hits for news websites, which result in big money from online advertising.

Australia have had an incredibly strict policy on immigration for as long as I can remember and even go as far as to fire warning shots from their Navy at immigration boats. Yet no one complains or even cares.

Fast forward to 2017 and Trump suggests tightening immigration controls to secure the country both financially and from a safety perspective and everyone loses their minds.

My question is why? Why are people so quick to become hysterical about Trump while not batting an eyelid about other countries with strict immigration laws? Surely it is the prerogative of the country to define their own immigration laws?

It feels as though this country is being sucked into a black hole of sensationalism and hysteria.
    The mainstream media are brilliant when it comes to hypocrisy, deception and uproaring news, they always have been why do they do this- well in short to try and promote there service by having people on the news protesting and going nuclear about how Trumps conduct is very very immoral because he wants to ban muslims from 7 countries. I will give the mainstream media a bit of credit at least they decided to disclose that UK born and living muslims can actually go to the United States. I do not think many people here in the UK really care if Iraqi's can not go to America- thats my opinion on the over-reacting knee-jerk mainstream media. The next part of it is the deception, the mainstream media did not report that Obama prohibited Iraqis from coming to America over a 6 month period when he was in power, why was this- the media loved Obama for some unknown reason, probably because he was the only black president America have had so they better be social justice warriors and suck up to Obama. Then you have the utter hypocrisy of the mainstream media when they will condemn Trump and America for banning immigrants from 7 countries but will not condemn Saudi Arabia and Qatar who have took 0 refugees, neither did they condemn Obama's America for taking 0 Iraqi's over a 6 month period

ReputationRep:
    I can understand Americans protesting, but what I don't get is why British people feel the need to protest over something that does not concern them. It's an American policy, not a British policy so why must we make a song and dance about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    Because people who have permanent residence in the US have been immediately separated from their families, jobs, pets etc and stranded at airports.
    This quote below regards this quote above^

Aww, diddums snowflake!
    How much of an ******* are you? If you'd been stranded from your family because some ****boy in a suit had a problem with your religion and someone turned around and said 'diddums' you wouldn't be happy.

I mean I'm not expecting people to have empathy because lol the dumbass alt-right on this forum would kill all muslims in an instant if they could, but for god sake at least try and understand before you post ridiculous comments which reveal how truly heartless you are.

You & Whoever repped you deserve to be shipped off to one of the banned countries and forced to be stuck there away from your family Maybe you'll develop some level of empathy then?

Clearly you must have had a disturbed childhood to be so devoid of emotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    I can understand Americans protesting, but what I don't get is why British people feel the need to protest over something that does not concern them. It's an American policy, not a British policy so why must we make a song and dance about it?
    I can't trump won presidency democracy spoke, he may not of won the majority of votes but he won the majority of the states they should sit down shut up and give him a fair crack at doing the Job. Was Barrack Obama judged after being president for 10 days? I don't remember so and he had an immigration ban too, its the media asking for all of this they uproared news time and time again and drew up hate for Trump-why you may ask? He slated mainstream media as fake news because it is at times.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

It would be fully remiss of a country leader to not recognise the external terror threat. Especially when that country is at war with ISIS - a war that Obama and Bush have spent decades bombing plenty of innocent muslims by the way with nowhere near the level of hysteria, or any hysteria at all. How many muslim deaths are Obama and Bush responsible for? I doubt anyone knows because no one seems to care because their name isn't Donald Trump.

People have a problem with the arbitrary nature of this ban. It won't help to stop terrorism - Trump has omitted countries with extremist links and which pose an actual risk. How does Iran (a country on the list) pose more of a threat than Saudi Arabia (surprise, surprise - not on the list)?

Good you mention ISIS... Some of the countries on the list have been vocal in opposition to ISIS, and absolutely do not associate with the group. Even aligning with the US in their views. Iran is one of these countries, and they have been fighting against extremist groups which pose a threat to the West.

We have also established that there is zero evidence he is doing this simply because he doesn't like muslims!
    Well you can kinda infer that he is doing this because he doesn't like Muslims, from the countries that he has placed under the order. Muslim countries that have posed quite severe terrorist threats are absent from the list, because of their business with the US.

So, back to the original question, why are people getting so upset? He's done nothing wrong. Are people's lives in the UK so perfect that we can get so upset over this ridiculous issue? Is our country so perfect that we can spend so much of our time whining and crying and getting hysterical every time Trump so much as blinks? Watching all this hysteria makes me sad for what this country has become.
    Many people have family who would be exempt from the bans, and people in the UK feel empathy for the groups that have been singled out; entire countries have been outright banned, all citizens. It is hard for people to sit back and not feel outraged. What is your problem with citizens in the UK offering solidarity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex McTurd)
    I can't trump won presidency democracy spoke, he may not of won the majority of votes but he won the majority of the states they should sit down shut up and give him a fair crack at doing the Job. Was Barrack Obama judged after being president for 10 days? I don't remember so and he had an immigration ban too, its the media asking for all of this they uproared news time and time again and drew up hate for Trump-why you may ask? He slated mainstream media as fake news because it is at times.
    I completely agree. I just think it's ridiculous how people in the UK are getting outraged over something that doesn't affect them. And now they are petitioning for the President of the United States to be banned from coming to the UK.

The liberal snowflakes in the US are not even giving Trump a chance. They're acting like spoilt children, and don't seem to understand what democracy means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I'd like to think we've moved on a bit since the 1940s, eh?
    Moved on? Moved backwards more like.

In the 1940's, the Allies were strong enough, and yes, ruthless enough, to face up to and then destroy the Japanese Empire as it expanded across most of the Pacific.

This generation of whiny snowflakes on both sides of the Atlantic wouldn't stand a chance in hell of defeating such an existential threat if it ever confronted us again.

Which let's face it, is hardly inconceivable, the way the world is headed.

ReputationRep:
    Moved on? Moved backwards more like.

In the 1940's, the Allies were strong enough, and yes, ruthless enough, to face up to and then destroy the Japanese Empire as it expanded across most of the Pacific.

This generation of whiny snowflakes on both sides of the Atlantic wouldn't stand a chance in hell of defeating such an existential threat if it ever confronted us again.

Which let's face it, is hardly inconceivable, the way the world is headed.
    You must be joking. If Pearl Harbour happened today, we would go to war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    You must be joking. If Pearl Harbour happened today, we would go to war.
    True, but we wouldn't drop atom bombs on a country which didn't possess them.

You may say that is a good thing, a moral thing, which sounds plausible.

Except dropping those two bombs ended the war at a stroke. Without them the Japanese would never have given up, they would have fought to the death, island by island, all the way up the mainland. Iwo Jima demonstrated that.

More lives were saved, certainly more allied lives, but more lives in toto, by that act.

Which would be inconceivable under modern standards of morality. A morality which our enemies don't share today, and didn't in the 40's either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    I mean, every country on the list is majority muslim. One of his closest allies is quoted as Trump wanting to shutdown all muslim immigration, and Trump himself has implied the same in his campaign.

It clearly is targeting muslim majority countries with unstable/anti-liberal sentiment. But I agree with what you said about muslims from other countries being free to come and go.
    Are you suggesting he was going around banning Muslims but just plum forgot about Saudi Arabia? Or Jordan, Turkey or Egypt?

ReputationRep:
    Because it essentially segregates an entire race? Not a permanent ban sure but consider the social implications, if this type of policy is deemed appropriate by the POTUS does that not encourage increased prejudice/discriminatory attitudes towards Islam in the population? It won't keep America any safer than it was before. If anything it's betrayal and endangerment of the Islamic population of America.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.