Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a mother to 13 years old, who wants to go to medical school,King college.
    Will my girl be able to apply to University after she get the GCSEs results ? I understand that she has to take GCSEs at 16/year11 but University starts at the age of 18.

In case that she gets accept from University will she has to go to University right away or she has to do year12 and 13 first? how does this system works?

Please explain and advice me on this.
    Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You do GCSEs to get onto your Alevels/Btec then use your Alevels for Uni at 18..you can't go straight from GCSE..

ReputationRep:
    After GCSE's, universities usually accept students that take another set of exams: A-Levels. They can study these at colleges/sixth forms.

Depending on what grades they achieve, they can apply through an organisation (through they're school/college) called UCAS. They can apply to Universities, then receive offers. Once they get the grades needed in their 2nd year, they can then progress at the age of 18 to University.

Here's a website explaining the process:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e-for-parents/

Hope your child gets into the Uni of their choice!

ReputationRep:
    She's 13 so there is no doubt in my mind that she hasnt thought this through. Becoming a Doctor requires studying for exams for alot of your life (can take upto 14 years AFTER university to become a consultant, there are many downsides. Please as a parent, help her make a well imformed decision as she gets older (15+) by introducing her to new work enviroments and alot of jobs the world has to offer by organisibg work experiance / jobs/ volounteering.

As for your question. She does GCSE's in high school. The more A*'s she gets the better. If she doesn't, don't worry, not all Medical schools ask for A*. Try make sure she performs well enough to do Triple science prior to GCSE's. The rest of the GCSE's dont matter. Aslong as she performs well. Then she goes to college. She picks 4 AS levels. The have to be in Biology and Chemistry. The other two subjects can be anything. (Envourage her to pick something she enjoys rather than something that 'looks good'. If she enjoys it shes more likely to get a better grade. And thats what counts. In the 2nd year of college she 'drops' one subject and does three. She has to keep doing Biology and Chemistry. In this year she can apply to Medical schools with predoxted grades from her teachers. All medical schools would expect her to have work experiance and volounteering so please encourage her. I was pretty lazy but at the end of it im glad I did, she will too. Getting a place into univeristy will depend on her score on the extra exams you may have to take for medical school (UKCAT and BMAT, don't worry about these right now) , GCSE's, A levels and interview performance. She will have to do well in her interviewm Having good grades wont compensate for this. Thats why Experiance is really important so she has the tools to be able to give good answers. Awareness of the health news also helps. This system may change in the next 5 years, who knows.

Im impressed that youre asking this for a 13 year old. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahid~)
    She's 13 so there is no doubt in my mind that she hasnt thought this through. Becoming a Doctor requires studying for exams for alot of your life (can take upto 14 years AFTER university to become a consultant, there are many downsides. Please as a parent, help her make a well imformed decision as she gets older (15+) by introducing her to new work enviroments and alot of jobs the world has to offer by organisibg work experiance / jobs/ volounteering.

As for your question. She does GCSE's in high school. The more A*'s she gets the better. If she doesn't, don't worry, not all Medical schools ask for A*. Try make sure she performs well enough to do Triple science prior to GCSE's. The rest of the GCSE's dont matter. Aslong as she performs well. Then she goes to college. She picks 4 AS levels. The have to be in Biology and Chemistry. The other two subjects can be anything. (Envourage her to pick something she enjoys rather than something that 'looks good'. If she enjoys it shes more likely to get a better grade. And thats what counts. In the 2nd year of college she 'drops' one subject and does three. She has to keep doing Biology and Chemistry. In this year she can apply to Medical schools with predoxted grades from her teachers. All medical schools would expect her to have work experiance and volounteering so please encourage her. I was pretty lazy but at the end of it im glad I did, she will too. Getting a place into univeristy will depend on her score on the extra exams you may have to take for medical school (UKCAT and BMAT, don't worry about these right now) , GCSE's, A levels and interview performance. She will have to do well in her interviewm Having good grades wont compensate for this. Thats why Experiance is really important so she has the tools to be able to give good answers. Awareness of the health news also helps. This system may change in the next 5 years, who knows.

Im impressed that youre asking this for a 13 year old. Best of luck.
    Dear Zahid

It is very kind of you to explain these to me. I am very much appreciated it.
    May I ask some more about GCSE ?
    I heard that at the age of 14 the children are allowed to do GCSE Is that true?
    and if the results come out not so good (A) can the 14 years old do it again when they are ready(16 of age)? and if so will that count as a resit ?

It very feel nice to know someone is out there.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motheof13)
    Dear Zahid

It is very kind of you to explain these to me. I am very much appreciated it.
    May I ask some more about GCSE ?
    I heard that at the age of 14 the children are allowed to do GCSE Is that true?
    and if the results come out not so good (A) can the 14 years old do it again when they are ready(16 of age)? and if so will that count as a resit ?

It very feel nice to know someone is out there.

Regards
    They traditionally do GCSE's (around 6-10 subjects) in Year 11 and Year 10. The exam system has changed recently so that you must now learn everything in two years (Year 10 and Year 11 (15 and 16 years old), they then do the exams at the end of the two-year period.
    It is possible to do them earlier, but there is no advantage of doing so, the school know this so they don't fund such (exam) attempts either.
    Its better to let her age and become more mature and experienced with learning in general so she can take full advantage of the two years she's supposed to do the exams.
    Making her do them earlier has no effect on her university applications. What could happen is that she would perform worse due to her age and level of understanding. This would be disadvantageous since she would be compared the same to other students regardless of the age she took them.
    E.g. A child that did their exams in year 11 and got an A would still be better than a child that did their exam in year 9 but got a B. Since its the grade that counts.

The best thing you can do is help her with her studying right now and provide her the resources to be able to study further if she is in a comfortable position. Not so much so to skip a year but so that she can be ahead of the class.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.