Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you only get to play if you are amazing?
    Or does everyone get a go and play at their own level?

ReputationRep:
    I think all universities have "social" sports squads where you just have a laugh and play at whatever level you want. Some universities have international-standard people in a number of sports though, so you'd have to be amazing to get on to the best teams.

ReputationRep:
    I played intramural level football and badminton at my first (Scottish) uni several years ago. I also played in several six a side footie competitions, and used the Uni's facilities for playing tennis, cricket and squash.

Thing is, I am resoundingly ordinary at all these sports. But it was never close to a problem; there will surely be opportunities available at very level.

It's probably even possible to represent the uni, especially if you find a sport that has minority appeal and therefore few players. At Aberdeen (in the eighties) you could forget about playing certain sports - hockey, squash, rugby, shinty (!), skiing, football - at varsity level unless you were pretty good. But I recall that certain squads - volleyball and basketball iirc - were always looking for new team members. Basketball has grown in popularity recently, so it's probably harder to get in to the team now, but you take my point.

Even here in the US, it is easy to play at intramural or club level. Walking on to a varsity team is a different matter altogether, however.

ReputationRep:
    at exeter, everyone who wants to play sport can play sport.

theres lots of levels and you can just play with a bunch of mates or take part in uni organised activities.

i would presume all unis are the same.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    at exeter, everyone who wants to play sport can play sport.

theres lots of levels and you can just play with a bunch of mates or take part in uni organised activities.

i would presume all unis are the same.

love Katy ***
    Yep its like that at UEA, and even at Loughborough, which is best known for its sports, you don't have to be amazing to join in, you just join at a level you feel is right for you, and do how much you want to do. I'm in the swimming club at UEA but its not as if you *have* to turn up to every session, you do what you want to do and at the sessions there are different sets and you can chose which you want to do (so usually I'm lazy and do the easy one!).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    It's probably even possible to represent the uni, especially if you find a sport that has minority appeal and therefore few players. At Aberdeen (in the eighties) you could forget about playing certain sports - hockey, squash, rugby, shinty (!), skiing, football - at varsity level unless you were pretty good.
    Quite the reverse at Nottingham - they're desperate for people to join the ski and snowboard teams. I got to race in the nationals last year despite only competing on a dry slope for half a year...! I'm not sure about the other sports, I guess you have to be pretty good to be able to play at varsity level, but I'm sure they'd welcome people of all abilities on a more relaxed and social level. At Notts most clubs have a website which tells you if they offer beginners lessons etc, so you could try looking at your prospective unis' websites and see if they offer the same kind of thing.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.