Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you listen to music when studying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just spent a bit of time writing down revision notes whilst listening to some relaxing Pokemon music (yes, it can be relaxing as well as action-packed) and this is my first time doing revision/studying while listening to music. I actually found it helps me think better and I've already found out it lowers my BPM, making me calmer and relaxed. Does anyone else listen to music when studying and how does it help?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanF2000)
    I've just spent a bit of time writing down revision notes whilst listening to some relaxing Pokemon music (yes, it can be relaxing as well as action-packed) and this is my first time doing revision/studying while listening to music. I actually found it helps me think better and I've already found out it lowers my BPM, making me calmer and relaxed. Does anyone else listen to music when studying and how does it help?
    I used to listen to BBC Radio 1 but this got boring because I studied every day but the music played only changed week on week :lol:

Game music is always distracting for me as well.. I used to play a game called Maplestory and the old songs from there would really distract me :lol:

I revise with TV on in the background tbh, but that's probably not that helpful :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanF2000)
    When I'm at school I listen to music as lots of people will see that you are working and not disturb you. The best thing for this is to listen to a song you know really well so it doesn't distract you.

At home I find it better not to have any music as if I go on it I spend more time choosing a song then doing work.

ReputationRep:
    i get distracted if i DON't have music on because i can hear all my flatmates pottering about and get tempted to see what's going on haha! recently, i've been listening to Joep Beving's album "Solipsism" and that just has me focused for aaages and i just put the album on repeat, would highly recommend a listen

during my a-levels i used to listen to spotify's "deep concentration" playlists and then just gathered individual songs from those sorts of playlists and made my own to play in the background and that works quite nicely too. i've tried listening to songs with actual lyrics instead of just instrumental stuff but i get distracted by that and just sit on my bed listening, which isn't very good :lazy:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most people get distracted with music that have song lyrics and I'm definetly one of them
    I'm pretty sure classical music won't distract you

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what I'm doing. If I just have to do something with low concentration such as writing out an essay from a draft then I can and it makes it more fun but if I'm not careful it distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I procrastinate less that way. Some people listen to heavy metal and stuff to get their motivation going but I don't get how that works.
    I just stick to quieter stuff, acoustics etc. It's annoying when Spotify won't let you skip though.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to backing tracks from films - some may call me 'sad' for it but it helps. It's relaxing, not distracting (as there are no lyrics) and helps me to focus. I have a whole playlist on spotify with 194 songs from my favourite movies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.