The Student Room Group

Say no to Donald Trump's state visit to Britain

Scroll to see replies

Fed up of you guys comparing him to hitler, really downplays how evil Hitler was, enjoy wasting your time signing a stupid petition and saying buzzwords to make your point seem even more stupid
Reply 41
Whatever you like it or not, hes the POTUS for next 4 years at least and we can't just pretend America doesn't exist until next elections.
USA is an important country, especially now the UK decided to leave the EU, and ruining diplomatic relationship is not a wise move.
World is not pink and covered in snowflakes, Trump is the president and there's no running away from it
Original post by _Morsey_
But you did support a petition to prevent Trump from travelling to the UK, maybe not the current petition in question, but that other one which gained over 500k signatures.

I mean, you shouldn't need reminding, as you were the one who created the thread for that petition:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3768955

You understand technicalities, therefore you will understand more than most that blocking a state visit is not technically similar to blocking Trump from coming to the UK, but I would certainly bet on a lot of people not knowing the difference.

A feel that the point by A Slice of Pi still stands, there is certainly an element of hypocrisy.

The Home Secretary has the power to ban foreign citizens on an individual basis from the UK if they are considered undesirable for a range of possible reasons. That is the power that earlier petition was calling for to be used against Trump when he was just a candidate for the Republican ticket, before he was the nominee. That was entirely reasonable given all the hate speech and his directly advocating violence against journalists, protesters and others.

I accept now that he's the President we can hardly ban him, but that doesn't mean rolling out the whole red carpet and giving him the keys to the kingdom are the way to go. The petition calls for limits - no state visit.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The petition doesn't call for Trump to be banned from travelling here, it is against him being offered a full state visit with all that implies - a state dinner at the palace, staying with the royal family, etc.

It calls for the state visit to be cancelled altogether, which would be a very silly move if it went ahead. There has been a petition in the past which called for a complete ban on him travelling to the UK, not so long ago. Does signing a petition like that make us any better?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do snowflake SJWs know no shame.

Tell me oh compassionate ones why did you not start a petition to prevent King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia visiting Britain in 2007?

Remember Saudi Arabia has had a ban on Israeli passport holders entering Saudi for decades, exactly the same as Trumps ban on Muslims.

Strange that, you would appear to care deeply about Muslims around the world, Jews not so much.

Could explain a lot .......
Original post by Bornblue
I have big reservations. Just as I do about his support of torture and distaste of women's abortion rights.

I need to go somewhere, so don't have time to give a full response to all your points. If I remember I will.

But the highlighted point screams out for an answer.

The US has a huge, unbridgeable divide on the abortion issue. It is a ridiculously emotive subject, and there is no black or white, clearly moral right or wrong answer here.

Both sides have a principled case, the woman's right to choose comes up against a religiously derived "right to life."

I happen to believe in the right to abortion myself. But it is not for my government to get itself involved in such a divisive issue in someone else's country.

It is counter productive to do so, obviously. (So why would we?) But also none of our business. It is for the American people to decide.
The Home Secretary has the power to ban foreign citizens on an individual basis from the UK if they are considered undesirable for a range of possible reasons. That is the power that earlier petition was calling for to be used against Trump when he was just a candidate for the Republican ticket, before he was the nominee. That was entirely reasonable given all the hate speech and his directly advocating violence against journalists, protesters and others.

I accept now that he's the President we can hardly ban him, but that doesn't mean rolling out the whole red carpet and giving him the keys to the kingdom are the way to go. The petition calls for limits - no state visit.

Cute, you think the petition will work? You'll sign the petition, get all hot and bothered about it thinking you've saved Britain from 'an evil man' etc etc. Then when it gets to parliament you'll realise that nobody cares about your silly petition and the only person who will vote for it will be Crazy Corbyn
Original post by A Slice of Pi
It calls for the state visit to be cancelled altogether, which would be a very silly move if it went ahead.

Can I invite you to read the actual text of the petition please?

"Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen."
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928
Original post by astutehirstute
I need to go somewhere, so don't have time to give a full response to all your points. If I remember I will.

But the highlighted point screams out for an answer.

The US has a huge, unbridgeable divide on the abortion issue. It is a ridiculously emotive subject, and there is no black or white, clearly moral right or wrong answer here.

Both sides have a principled case, the woman's right to choose comes up against a religiously derived "right to life."

I happen to believe in the right to abortion myself. But it is not for my government to get itself involved in such a divisive issue in someone else's country.

It is counter productive to do so, obviously. (So why would we?) But also none of our business. It is for the American people to decide.

On this topic, it's plausible that the new government will insist that the UK drops the right to an abortion before any trade deal, plus abandons medical research into stem cells, etc.

Trump is very encouraging of anti-science and he himself is a believer in folk tales and conspiratorial versions of major events and scientific theories.
Why are people getting so defensive over this petition lol...
Can I invite you to read the actual text of the petition please?

"Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen."
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

He has already been invited (please refer to the speech given by the PM last Friday) and he petition is to withdraw said invitation i.e. to cancel the state visit, which is what I have said.
Nah.

And I doubt it will work now that he and Theresa May have a hot passionate relationship. :perv:
Original post by A Slice of Pi
He has already been invited (please refer to the speech given by the PM last Friday) and he petition is to withdraw said invitation i.e. to cancel the state visit, which is what I have said.

OK, I accept the technicality, but my point is that the petition is not about banning him from the UK, only about refusing the state visit aspects.
Original post by joe cooley

Tell me oh compassionate ones

:rofl: I'm not bothered about jews though but you're killing me.
Original post by joe cooley

Tell me oh compassionate ones why did you not start a petition to prevent King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia visiting Britain in 2007?

Remember Saudi Arabia has had a ban on Israeli passport holders entering Saudi for decades, exactly the same as Trumps ban on Muslims.

Strange that, you would appear to care deeply about Muslims around the world, Jews not so much.

Could explain a lot .......

Yep, we care about the Muslims but not the Jews. Just like Trump cares about the Pussy but nothing else...
Original post by 0to100
Nah.

And I doubt it will work now that he and Theresa May have a hot passionate relationship. :perv:

Two self-satisfying losers together forever...
Original post by the bear
is it because he is orange white ?

:rofl:
" Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom. "

The petition now has over a million signatures and climbing. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

It's a way to protest the visit of this racist-pandering neo-fascist to the UK. The dog-whistle politics, the infantilising of our prime minister, the random acts of stupidity, the willingness to not just climb into the gutter but get down there like a pig with a snout in it - I could go on, but we all know what Trump is like and what he represents.

Let's demonstrate that this isn't 'business as usual' and that the sight of him being feted by our politicians and being treated to the full royal is just too much for us, the decent people of Britain, to bear. :yep:

Over the past ten years we have allowed the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE, Turkey and China to make state visits. The leaders of these countries are responsible for far worse human rights than Donald Trump and we have welcomed them with open arms. We do this because we want to build good economic ties with these nations, even though we disagree with their governments on some human rights issues. Likewise, since the US is our biggest ally and the world's foremost economic and military power, it would be ridiculous not to offer the new President a state visit as well.
Reply 58
" Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom. "

The petition now has over a million signatures and climbing. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

It's a way to protest the visit of this racist-pandering neo-fascist to the UK. The dog-whistle politics, the infantilising of our prime minister, the random acts of stupidity, the willingness to not just climb into the gutter but get down there like a pig with a snout in it - I could go on, but we all know what Trump is like and what he represents.

Let's demonstrate that this isn't 'business as usual' and that the sight of him being feted by our politicians and being treated to the full royal is just too much for us, the decent people of Britain, to bear. :yep:
You are like sheep to the slaughter following causes that have no real substance.

Where were all these leftie morons when the Chinese president visited in 2015. Did you see any protests when Obama stopped Iraqis from coming to the US for 6 months no I didn't either. I don't see mass protests about the Christian genocide happening in the 7 banned countries - obviously killing Christians is nowhere near as hurting someones feelings by giving them a temporary ban.

If Muslims want to go to another country why pick a country on the other side of the world. Why pick a Christian country. Why pick a country that doesn't want you. There are plenty of safe havens in other countries in the Middle East that are Muslim countries.

Trump is doing what is right for America. He has introduced a short term ban so that more stringent vetting procedures can be introduced.

For all you know the Queen may actually agree with Trump!

I suppose you also don't give a toss that 16 countries have banned entry to anyone with an Israeli passport.
He shouldn't be banned. He's President and he campaigned to do the ban.

Quick Reply

Latest