Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    " Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom. "

The petition now has over a million signatures and climbing. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

It's a way to protest the visit of this racist-pandering neo-fascist to the UK. The dog-whistle politics, the infantilising of our prime minister, the random acts of stupidity, the willingness to not just climb into the gutter but get down there like a pig with a snout in it - I could go on, but we all know what Trump is like and what he represents.

Let's demonstrate that this isn't 'business as usual' and that the sight of him being feted by our politicians and being treated to the full royal is just too much for us, the decent people of Britain, to bear. :yep:
    You are like sheep to the slaughter following causes that have no real substance.

Where were all these leftie morons when the Chinese president visited in 2015. Did you see any protests when Obama stopped Iraqis from coming to the US for 6 months no I didn't either. I don't see mass protests about the Christian genocide happening in the 7 banned countries - obviously killing Christians is nowhere near as hurting someones feelings by giving them a temporary ban.

If Muslims want to go to another country why pick a country on the other side of the world. Why pick a Christian country. Why pick a country that doesn't want you. There are plenty of safe havens in other countries in the Middle East that are Muslim countries.

Trump is doing what is right for America. He has introduced a short term ban so that more stringent vetting procedures can be introduced.

For all you know the Queen may actually agree with Trump!

I suppose you also don't give a toss that 16 countries have banned entry to anyone with an Israeli passport.

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't be banned. He's President and he campaigned to do the ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    You are like sheep to the slaughter following causes that have no real substance.

Where were all these leftie morons when the Chinese president visited in 2015. Did you see any protests when Obama stopped Iraqis from coming to the US for 6 months no I didn't either. I don't see mass protests about the Christian genocide happening in the 7 banned countries - obviously killing Christians is nowhere near as hurting someones feelings by giving them a temporary ban.

If Muslims want to go to another country why pick a country on the other side of the world. Why pick a Christian country. Why pick a country that doesn't want you. There are plenty of safe havens in other countries in the Middle East that are Muslim countries.

Trump is doing what is right for America. He has introduced a short term ban so that more stringent vetting procedures can be introduced.

I suppose you also don't give a toss that 16 countries have banned entry to anyone with an Israeli passport.
    There were lots and lots of protests against the China visit. You are distorting history when you claim there weren't. I didn't see anyone at those protests other than the sort of left wing people you claim to despise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    Yep, let's ban him!! He might grab our beloved Queen by the pussy!!!
    Too old.

idc if he comes even if i don't like him

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
      Anyone who signed that petition is an utter moron. DO some people really think that we can just ignore the most powerful state in the world. We need the USA on our side. We can't put a relationship in jeopardy which could be essential for strong trade ahead of brexit. Typical lefties- no brains and no political awareness. Sheep.
      I agree with you!

ReputationRep:
      This would be a diplomatic disaster, don't people understand that?

All world leaders should be entitled to a state visit in the name of diplomacy. It does not explicitly indicate support for that individual.

ReputationRep:
      Anyone who signed that petition is an utter moron. DO some people really think that we can just ignore the most powerful state in the world. We need the USA on our side. We can't put a relationship in jeopardy which could be essential for strong trade ahead of brexit. Typical lefties- no brains and no political awareness. Sheep.
      If you voted for Brexit you're in no position to talk about political awareness. Next...

ReputationRep:
      That is an opinion, with which many in the US disagree.

It doesn't make sense to say that, because other vile things haven't been protested, people are wrong to do something this time.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by astutehirstute)
      I need to go somewhere, so don't have time to give a full response to all your points. If I remember I will.

But the highlighted point screams out for an answer.

The US has a huge, unbridgeable divide on the abortion issue. It is a ridiculously emotive subject, and there is no black or white, clearly moral right or wrong answer here.

Both sides have a principled case, the woman's right to choose comes up against a religiously derived "right to life."

I happen to believe in the right to abortion myself. But it is not for my government to get itself involved in such a divisive issue in someone else's country.

It is counter productive to do so, obviously. (So why would we?) But also none of our business. It is for the American people to decide.
      It's not for a government to tell people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. If people don't like abortions then don't have them.

But to try and tell others what they can do with their own bodies is, in my view deeply authoritarian.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joe cooley)
      Remember Saudi Arabia has had a ban on Israeli passport holders entering Saudi for decades
      In fact sixteen Muslim countries forbid admission to Israeli passport holders. Eight of them do not allow entry to people with evidence of travel to Israel.

ReputationRep:
      We need the USA, we can't just shove our middle finger up at the because we disagree with a policy!
      I don't even support the ban and think this is ludicrous!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bornblue)
      It's not for a government to tell people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. If people don't like abortions then don't have them.
      Finally agree with you !

Its horrific what does in Northern Ireland and other places where its illegal.

The fact is these stupid pro life people use the sanctity of life as their argument sometimes yet support death penalty.

ReputationRep:

The petition now has over a million signatures and climbing. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

It's a way to protest the visit of this racist-pandering neo-fascist to the UK. The dog-whistle politics, the infantilising of our prime minister, the random acts of stupidity, the willingness to not just climb into the gutter but get down there like a pig with a snout in it - I could go on, but we all know what Trump is like and what he represents.

Let's demonstrate that this isn't 'business as usual' and that the sight of him being feted by our politicians and being treated to the full royal is just too much for us, the decent people of Britain, to bear. :yep:
      Nah.

ReputationRep:
      My taughts exactly!

ReputationRep:
      Not signing it
      • Very Important Poster

It would be a disaster if the UK said no and it will not happen. What you would be doing is rejecting/ insulting the US as a country because he is head of state. You could kiss your trade deal goodbye. The US is still the most powerful country in the world and our best ally. he is entitled to make his own policies no matter how stupid or ill conceived. There are more importnat issues for YK and US relations that immigration or visas.
      • Very Important Poster

You are wrong there were plenty of protests when the Chinese president visited.
      the ban as implemented by Trump is ill cobceived and silly because it tragets the wrong countries and the wrong people. Not very smart.

ReputationRep:
      Message to snow flakes:

1) Obama blocked immigration by Iraqi refugees in 2011 - not a peep from the MSM

2) Trump's list of the seven 'Muslim majority' countries was actually drawn up by the previous administration (the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act 2015). They are war-torn countries with destabilised governments (thus making the appropriate vetting impossible). These countries are also not considered to be allies of the US (unlike Saudi and Pakistan, rightly or wrongly)

3) This is categorically NOT a "Muslim ban", since the top 5 most populous Islamic countries are not included

4) 16 countries ban Israeli citizens and virtually all are Muslim. Where's the liberal outrage on this?

5) Several countries, e.g. Japan, South Korea, Thailand have stricter constraints on Muslim immigration. Again, where's the outrage?

6) Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Bahrain and Oman have taken NO refugees from Syria, despite sharing common cultural/religious values AND having the resources to do so.

ReputationRep:

He is a great man why ban him

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.