Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    And you shouldn't make sweeping accusations. I never once said that people who voted leave were stupid. Misguided and naive perhaps, but not stupid...
    If you voted for Brexit you're in no position to talk about political awareness. Next...
    Again in your response you have generalised .
    Again please illustrate why you are so clever !
    (GCSE grades , a levels of perhaps any economics qualification or degree please) but even then there are people that are considered very clever that voted leave 👍. I would however like to know what makes you think that your smart and above the average person which give you the right to call them naive and misguided !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    The UK has a very strong interest in maintaining good relations with the US now that it has ditched the Continent. So whilst I regard Trump as an ignorant buffoon (and have not shied away from criticising him severely in the past), it is interests that ought to guide foreign policy, not romantic attachments.
    Ditched the continent?!

We left (are leaving) the trading block and bureaucratic cesspit that is the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the dizzying heights of 52% vs. 48%!! What a humongous margin you beat us by! 0.6% growth in final quarter when we're still in the EU. Come back and say that when we actually leave the EU in 100 years time.

And why are you childishly turning this into a left vs. right debate? You are aware of the fact that a person is perfectly able to despise Trump and NOT be a 'leftie liberal'?
    I am not saying that one cannot despise Trump. I too think that it is a laugh that the most powerful nation in the world was unable to produce none other than Trump and Clinton as the 2 electorate candidates. Saying that I did say that I would have voted for Trump over Clinton.

I am not arguing that you can not despise Trump. I am only stating that in my opinion the petition is stupid because we can't afford to ruin ties with the USA just because of a president who will be in power for a mere 4 years. Forgive me if I sound stupid but I see my argument as reasonable and of sensible logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    I am not saying that one cannot despise Trump. I too think that it is a laugh that the most powerful nation in the world was unable to produce none other than Trump and Clinton as the 2 electorate candidates. Saying that I did say that I would have voted for Trump over Clinton.

I am not arguing that you can not despise Trump. I am only stating that in my opinion the petition is stupid because we can't afford to ruin ties with the USA just because of a president who will be in power for a mere 4 years. Forgive me if I sound stupid but I see my argument as reasonable and of sensible logic.
    Would rep but can't, lets wait for his intelligence justification and why he think he is smarter then every single leave voter/supporter

ReputationRep:
    That would be an incredibly foolish diplomatic decision. 'Snub the leader of the free world and the UK's closest ally.' You know, the one you're trying to get a good trade deal with? Very smart.

It doesn't matter if the man's an ass. He is visiting as the President of the United States , not just as Donald J. Trump. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Steve Bell on the Queen and Trump.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-plans-cartoon

The petition has now moved above 1.5m signatures.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
      Steve Bell on the Queen and Trump.
      https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-plans-cartoon

The petition has now moved above 1.5m signatures.
      News like this fills me with hope for humanity.

And then news like Trump's election takes it all away... I feel like at the end of 2017, I will wake up to a fascist Europe, and I don't know how I would be able to deal with that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      News like this fills me with hope for humanity.

And then news like Trump's election takes it all away... I feel like at the end of 2017, I will wake up to a fascist Europe, and I don't know how I would be able to deal with that.
      I think we have to be aware that there probably will be more victories for the far right, most probably in Holland and possibly France.

In effect, they are already in charge here, as the Tories with their slim majority are acting like a branch office of UKIP but with dictator powers.

ReputationRep:
      I think we have to be aware that there probably will be more victories for the far right, most probably in Holland and possibly France.

In effect, they are already in charge here, as the Tories with their slim majority are acting like a branch office of UKIP but with dictator powers.
      Our Prime minister also has a great approval rating so it's not they're 'dictating'- the tidies clearly have support for their policies.

ReputationRep:

Talk about melodramatic. You are calling the democratically elected Tory majority essentially dictators, you are a sore loser.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LorcanK)
      Where did that £360 million go that was supposed to go to the NHS?
      Last I heard we were STILL paying it to Brussels.

It will be great when we leave, get our money back and can spend it how we want to, won't it?

Where would you like it to go? How about on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, but Obama was cool and charismatic, that's why we like him. .
      Speak for yourself.

Some of us prefer to be at the front of the queue than the back.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NativesofEurope)
      No he is a world leader an it is important to establish ties with him. Use your brain moron
      As was Adolf Hitler...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by epoddoulc)
      The petition will never be taken seriously as one user can sign the same petition multiple times...

Stop moaning and accept life, you people are the reason why our generation is known as the snowflake generation..
      There's a million signatures and only 100,000 signatures are needed for this to be taken to the MPs.

The only people calling this generation the snowflake generation are old white conservatives and alt right halfwits and frankly I dont think anyone gives a toss about what they think.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Please direct me to information about the state visits to Britain of Mussolini and Adolf Hitler for comparison purposes.

The Queen meeting him and state dinners at Buck House and golfing at Balmoral - all would indicate acceptance of this neo-fascist extremist as a 'normal' leader and 'business as usual' - when it isn't.
      I thought the 7th post was quick to throw the argument, apparently you can't even wait that long.

ReputationRep:

Yes.

The Tories are running a phantom campaign in Stoke too, hoping that we Kippers take that seat from the Remainer Labour candidate who called Brexit a "pile of $hit"

And Gert Wilders will certainly win the most seats with a possible coalition partner ready to join in to overthrow the failed pro EU establishment administration. So that will be Nexit.

If Le Pen gets in that will be Frexit.

Happy days!

(Still think the "sick man of EUrope " has been a success, out of interest?)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Johnny Sinner)
      There's a million signatures and only 100,000 signatures are needed for this to be taken to the MPs.

The only people calling this generation the snowflake generation are old white conservatives and alt right halfwits and frankly I dont think anyone gives a toss about what they think.
      It's reached 1.6m now, although the rate of signing has slowed, so I think it will peak around the 2 or 2.5m mark.

Pretty impressive for a mere petition. As only 1 in 10 people with a given opinion act on that opinion, we can assume that half the country doesn't want Trump to meet the Queen. She will be mindful of that herself in the palace dealings on this topic.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dandaman1)
      That would be an incredibly foolish diplomatic decision. 'Snub the leader of the free world and the UK's closest ally.' You know, the one you're trying to get a good trade deal with? Very smart.

It doesn't matter if the man's an ass. He is visiting as the President of the United States , not just as Donald J. Trump. Deal with it.
      The policies he has enacted have been done as PoTUS, not as Donald Trump so your second argument is a pretty poor one.

While it is important to maintain good relations with the US it is also important to not become subservient to them, especially when they undertake actions we disagree with or that may damage our relations with other countries further afield.

Brexit campaigners have constantly been on about the amount of nations to trade with outside the EU, maybe it might be time to look to do more than grovel and suck up to the US if that is the case.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nutz99)
      More people agree with him than disagree.
      What are you basing that on?

His approval ratings are low, and he was elected by a minority of the votes.

ReputationRep:
      We should ban him from a state visit for enacting one of the key points in his presidential campaign that he was elected for and absolutely bugger our chances of a solid trade deal just so we can say we're not as racist as him?

Not particularly pragmatic.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.