Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Toddlers kill more Americans in the US than jihadists. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saskbass)
    Perhaps not, but it does reduce the number of deaths as people are less likely to get killed by gun than knife.
    The numbers don't back it up look at what happened to the uk, Australia and Ireland when they strengthened the gun laws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Guns will never be removed from the USA. Far too entrenched in their culture, enshrined in the constitution, with the NRA being one of the most powerful lobbyists.

If there wasn't much change after the death of 20 kids following the Sandy Hook shooting, then I can't exactly see much changing at all now.
    They can keep the Gun's but change the manufacturing of bullets to make them softer so they can't penetrate human skin. Make it illegal to manufacture hard bullets and problem solved. The bullets could be made out of confectionery so if they drop on the ground children can pick them up and eat them.

ReputationRep:
    they're doing it for all their neglected and abused counterparts -_- poor poor little soldiers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    They can keep the Gun's but change the manufacturing of bullets to make them softer so they can't penetrate human skin. Make it illegal to manufacture hard bullets and problem solved. The bullets could be made out of confectionery so if they drop on the ground children can pick them up and eat them.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Deport the toddlers. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    The media changed our views towards muslims with their propaganda, the things that will criticise their view, they won't show you that.
    So don't be a puppet
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And if we extend or reduce the period being observed by 5 years?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering how seven hundred people die from falling out of their bed

ReputationRep:
    #NotAllToddlers

ReputationRep:
    More people are killed by falling off horses or donkeys than terrorists, I expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akamega)
    The fact is Islamic terrorism in the US isn't a problem. Shouting "Allahu-Akbar" after you've killed someone is equal to a white American shooting another white American in some backwater town. For the latter, it's explained away as senseless violence, but the former is treated as if it's some massive religious death cult movement looking to destroy Western civilisation. The media has a way of inflating issues, and people are gullible and will believe anything that will support their world-view.
    Seriously? It's not a massive religious death cult movement looking to destroy Western (non-Islamic) civilisation? You are blissfully naive.

http://www.clarionproject.org/factsh...-the-cross.pdf
    https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...ts-really-want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxHeather)
    Hold on, so you're saying that the Orlando night club shooting resulted in only 2 fatalities? Also, what Official report uses language such as "being hit by a bus" - it would be "motor related deaths" if this document was legitimate. What is actually happening is that people are taking the opportunity to try and slander Trump because they disagree with him, and the public attitude is similar.
    Read the sources at the bottom. First one about jihadists comes from a 10 year average since 9/11. So it will only go up to 2011 and not include recent attacks. Irregardless it is a yearly average, so the years before the orlando shooting are likely to take the average down below armed toddlers anyway, were they included. The table isn't an official legitimate document in itself, but the sources derived from it are.

Take from that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Guns don't kill people. Toddlers kill people. Is it time for a ban on toddlers? IMO, yes. Not all toddlers are going to shoot people, but we can't really take chances.
    Post of the month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)

I think America really needs to focus on reviewing and managing it's gun laws.....

Rather than Trump's ban on immigration from 7 Muslim countries.

Discuss.

:cookie:
    Toddlers kill more people than drivers using mobile phones.

So by your logic No action should be taken against those drivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    But your question is flawed because you are looking at the rate pre and post a particular piece of legislation, not pre and post general control.
    The UK has had strict gun controls since the 19th century.
    Ireland has had strict gun control since 1925.
    You are citing pieces of legislation enacted to close perceived loopholes in existing legislation, which applied in practice to very few people.

In the US, pretty much any adult can still buy a range of firearms with little to no control.
    You must compare like with like, not apples and oranges.

The argument is not to "ban guns" but to introduce controls like those in the UK. This would undoubtedly see a reduction in the rate of firearm homicide, and thus a reduction in the overall rate.
    Or are you claiming that Americans are culturally, or genetically, four times more inclined to murder than Brits, Irish and Aussies, and that in the presence of strict gun controls there would be a fourfold increase in stabbings, stranglings, poisonings, etc?
    One of the reasons that guns are so popular for killing people is that it is quick, involves little to no effort, and it can be done from a distance. It's why armies prefer them over swords, clubs, etc.
    Excellent post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    The numbers don't back it up look at what happened to the uk, Australia and Ireland when they strengthened the gun laws
    Er, hello?
    Are you not reading my posts? I'll say it again, but sloooly this time.

Introducing strict gun controls in a country that has weak gun control and where the firearms homicide rate is very high (USA) will reduce the murder rate.

Introducing strict gun controls in a country that already has strict gun controls and a low firearms homicide rate (UK, Ireland, Australia) will not reduce the murder rate.

The original point was that Americans would save far more citizens from violent death by introducing strict gun control (note: this bit is important - because they don't have them at the present!) than by banning travel from certain countries.

I really don't know how much simpler I can make it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    More people are killed by falling off horses or donkeys than terrorists, I expect.
    well falling off a terrorist is not very common

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Another possibility is to make bullets hugely expensive.
    "I'm gonna shoot you mutha****ers...when I get paid at the end of the month! Don't you go nowhere."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Er, hello?
    Are you not reading my posts? I'll say it again, but sloooly this time.

Introducing strict gun controls in a country that has weak gun control and where the firearms homicide rate is very high (USA) will reduce the murder rate.

Introducing strict gun controls in a country that already has strict gun controls and a low firearms homicide rate (UK, Ireland, Australia) will not reduce the murder rate.

The original point was that Americans would save far more citizens from violent death by introducing strict gun control (note: this bit is important - because they don't have them at the present!) than by banning travel from certain countries.

I really don't know how much simpler I can make it. :dontknow:
    You've absolutely trounced him in this debate but you are wasting your time. It's like debating with a brick wall crossed with a parrot. He will just ignore everything you say and repeat his initial point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamzahPatel)
    I'm just wondering how seven hundred people die from falling out of their bed
    Top bunk. On a crocodile farm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.