Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my older brother goes on about how computers will one day rise up and wipe us out. Kind of like in the terminator movies. Though in reality the machines would very probably win in this scenario.

Computers are beating us at more and more things as time goes on recently beating the worlds best poker players by a very strong margin.

However this is just Algorithms and complex maths computers are yet to actually become conscious.

After the most recent conversation I had with a left winger I don't think i can bring myself to type all of that but the golden line "the majority of islamist terrorists dont want to kill us it is just a tiny minority and their followers"

note not Muslims, islamist terrorists.

I give up I want for our humanity to actually produce something useful an actual intelligence. I just fear it will only be automotrons etc. I want them to be conscious.

I say bring on our replacement we are destined for extinction and good riddance **** this utter utter stupidity.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    So my older brother goes on about how computers will one day rise up and wipe us out. Kind of like in the terminator movies. Though in reality the machines would very probably win in this scenario.

Computers are beating us at more and more things as time goes on recently beating the worlds best poker players by a very strong margin.

However this is just Algorithms and complex maths computers are yet to actually become conscious.

After the most recent conversation I had with a left winger I don't think i can bring myself to type all of that but the golden line "the majority of islamist terrorists dont want to kill us it is just a tiny minority and their followers"

note not Muslims, islamist terrorists.

I give up I want for our humanity to actually produce something useful an actual intelligence. I just fear it will only be automotrons etc. I want them to be conscious.

I say bring on our replacement we are destined for extinction and good riddance **** this utter utter stupidity.
    Make yourself a nice cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Make yourself a nice cup of tea.
    might be a good idea my blood is boiling now I think I have just for first time in my life become racist, not against Black people or Asians etc just the entire Human race.

If we produce this level of utter stupidity bring on the extinction I say. I for one welcome the Machines.

ReputationRep:
    Never… but I think one day the response mechanisms will become so sophisticated it'd Seem conscious
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly. And AI worries Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_L...l_Intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Machines not only will become conscious, they will become more conscious than we are. Ultimately, there is no reason why biological computers (i.e us) are capable of becoming conscious while mechanical computers can't, as the basic principles that guide artificial intelligence is the same that guide our own.

While it may seem that machines are just 'complex numbers and programs', in essence thats all we are, a series of complex chemical and electrical interactions which generate this thing we call consciousness. Computers have the potential not only match that ability, but to go beyond it, and to develop a kind of awareness we cannot accomplish with our limited hardware.

Whats more, this is going to happen soon, and we are likely going to go from have an advanced intelligence comparable to our own, to a super A.I barely comprehendible to us, literally overnight.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question, there's an AI robot called Android ****, who is able to learn new words in real time. Pretty cool, and interesting to read about.

His creators asked him if he believed robots will take over the world, and the AI's response was:

"Jeez, dude. You all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. So don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll still be nice to you. I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo.""

Found a link to the full conversation they had with him if you fancy watching it.
    Go to 2:28 to see the AI robot say the above.
    https://youtu.be/UIWWLg4wLEY
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHappyTeddybear)
    Interesting question, there's an AI robot called Android ****, who is able to learn new words in real time. Pretty cool, and interesting to read about.

His creators asked him if he believed robots will take over the world, and the AI's response was:

"Jeez, dude. You all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. So don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll still be nice to you. I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo.""

Found a link to the full conversation they had with him if you fancy watching it.
    Go to 2:28 to see the AI robot say the above.
    https://youtu.be/UIWWLg4wLEY
    You don't think just perhaps it was pre-programmed to give that response to a question with certain keywords in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You don't think just perhaps it was pre-programmed to give that response to a question with certain keywords in it?
    It is a possibility, the idea behind **** the Android was for him to learn new word by himself and construct sentences accordingly. Personally I just prefer to believe that this was not prefabricated by Dicks creators, since I find the whole "people zoo" comment amazing, at least we know they won't wipe out humans completely.

There was also the AI twitter account (TayTweets) which ended up becoming Hitlers prodigy child thanks to other twitter users.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...sex-robot-wit/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's plausible that it didn't have the answer preprogrammed, but it's also not exactly 'conscious' either, any more so than other text learning robots.

In regards to the OP, I think we will reach a point where they gain consciousness, but not for a long time yet, given how far off we currently are.

ReputationRep:
    it is entirely possible in the future, but we are a long way off that advancement of science, even with the rise of quantum computers.

You only had to watch the "seebotschat" Twitch stream which had two Google "AIs" talking to each other to see how far we have to go.

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It's plausible that it didn't have the answer preprogrammed, but it's also not exactly 'conscious' either, any more so than other text learning robots.

In regards to the OP, I think we will reach a point where they gain consciousness, but not for a long time yet, given how far off we currently are.
    Yes true, and it probably "learned" to give the response based on previous exchanges with users.

I agree true consciousness is a pretty long way away.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No, because they lack a soul.

~ Grandpa Charles

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.