Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Anxiety - Crush on a Girl Watch

Hello! Sorry if this whole thread is just a bit silly, but I suffer from a bit of social anxiety and it's not great. 😂

I'm at university and have recently developed a crush on a girl that I've just found out I'll be working in a team with for like the next six weeks (a team of like 4 people). I'm quite sure she's single and she's very pretty! I've talked to her a tiny bit over Facebook Messenger, but I was only helping her with work because she's been off due to illness (she seems really nice). She's definitely more extroverted than me (enjoys parties etc.) but I don't really see that as a problem.

I really want to try and get to know her but at the same time, I don't want there to be any awkwardness because I'll still be at university for the next 2 years. 😂

Obviously with my social anxiety I feel like she's WAY out of my league, but I'd still like to try. So how should I go about this? Message her on Facebook etc?

And yeah, again, I know it might sound stupid to some, but I get really nervous and shy so it's not the easiest. 😂

Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to her and see where things go.. you never know what may happen so don't stress too much about the future. If there is any awkwardness you can always get rid of it. Unless you try you'll never know.👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello! Sorry if this whole thread is just a bit silly, but I suffer from a bit of social anxiety and it's not great. 😂

I'm at university and have recently developed a crush on a girl that I've just found out I'll be working in a team with for like the next six weeks (a team of like 4 people). I'm quite sure she's single and she's very pretty! I've talked to her a tiny bit over Facebook Messenger, but I was only helping her with work because she's been off due to illness (she seems really nice). She's definitely more extroverted than me (enjoys parties etc.) but I don't really see that as a problem.

I really want to try and get to know her but at the same time, I don't want there to be any awkwardness because I'll still be at university for the next 2 years. 😂

Obviously with my social anxiety I feel like she's WAY out of my league, but I'd still like to try. So how should I go about this? Message her on Facebook etc?

And yeah, again, I know it might sound stupid to some, but I get really nervous and shy so it's not the easiest. 😂

Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated!
    Perfect...Why not arrange for the team to meet up at the library or Costa etc to talk about 'work' and use this as a opportunity to get to know her better and then continue chatting over messenger then arrange for another study date where it will be you two to go over work and get lunch before or after studying and continue to get to know her (get her number) and she will feel comfortable around you and you will be able to see if she likes you too.
    Say you are struggling with work and need her help then get close to her and ask about her interests.
    You need to treat her like a classmate not as a love interest then you wouldnt feel the pressure to try hard and you won't be so nervous it will feel natural.
    This is the perfect opportunity don't waste it by being scared try and be confident even if you aren't try to force it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.