Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to decide whether to study Media Communications at Uni of Leicester (unconditional) or Cardiff (ABB), does anyone have any information about either cities, what its like to live there etc? Need to decide but have no idea which to put as firm!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabelwilford)
    I am trying to decide whether to study Media Communications at Uni of Leicester (unconditional) or Cardiff (ABB), does anyone have any information about either cities, what its like to live there etc? Need to decide but have no idea which to put as firm!

Hey Annabel,

Congratulations on your offers!

I can understand picking between two universities can be hard, So I thought I would give you some information on Leicester.

Leicester has a very active student life, with over 10% of the population in Leicester being students. So there is always something going on every night of the week, Leicester has a huge variety of bars and clubs offering student nights and discounts, including Mosh, Republic and an O2 academy right on campus. We have everything from champagne bars to real ale pubs and plenty of takeaways to end the night in true student style. The Students Union also organises a lot of different events throughout the year, recently students had their January exams and one of the lovely ways that the union helped to combat stress was organising free massages for their students and a puppy room (a room where students can just go a pet a dog).

It's also relatively cheap to live in Leicester, in recent survey done by HSBC, Leicester was voted the cheapest place to live for students for the past 2 years. You can see the stats here- file:///Z:/Downloads/140814-student-cost-of-living.pdf.

Personally one of the reasons I stayed in Leicester is because of the friendly atmosphere I got from the the City, I just got the sense of a community in Leicester which was absolutely amazing (especially when Leicester City won the cup )
    I like that you could easily walk around leicester and explore different parts, it is really convenient that it is only about 15 mins walk from Campus to the City Centre.

Really when it comes to picking a University, it's really up to you and what you prefer. if you have any more questions on Leicester I would be happy to answer them.

Though I would strongly suggest that if you are able to, go and visit the cities that you are interested in. As that visit could really help you to make your decision.

I hope this helps!

Antonia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Leicester)
    Hey Annabel,

Congratulations on your offers!

I can understand picking between two universities can be hard, So I thought I would give you some information on Leicester.

Leicester has a very active student life, with over 10% of the population in Leicester being students. So there is always something going on every night of the week, Leicester has a huge variety of bars and clubs offering student nights and discounts, including Mosh, Republic and an O2 academy right on campus. We have everything from champagne bars to real ale pubs and plenty of takeaways to end the night in true student style. The Students Union also organises a lot of different events throughout the year, recently students had their January exams and one of the lovely ways that the union helped to combat stress was organising free massages for their students and a puppy room (a room where students can just go a pet a dog).

It's also relatively cheap to live in Leicester, in recent survey done by HSBC, Leicester was voted the cheapest place to live for students for the past 2 years. You can see the stats here- file:///Z:/Downloads/140814-student-cost-of-living.pdf.

Personally one of the reasons I stayed in Leicester is because of the friendly atmosphere I got from the the City, I just got the sense of a community in Leicester which was absolutely amazing (especially when Leicester City won the cup )
    I like that you could easily walk around leicester and explore different parts, it is really convenient that it is only about 15 mins walk from Campus to the City Centre.

Really when it comes to picking a University, it's really up to you and what you prefer. if you have any more questions on Leicester I would be happy to answer them.

Though I would strongly suggest that if you are able to, go and visit the cities that you are interested in. As that visit could really help you to make your decision.

I hope this helps!

Antonia
    Thank you! it's so difficult to choose between two places that I like so much, I'm going to the applicant days so hopefully will get more of an idea after that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.