Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of stopping my MSc, should I list it in my CV Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Course is only a year long and I have completed 40 / 180 credits so far. I graduated from a different university with a first and was pretty successful in getting offers before I decided to take the route of this masters. (Funny how when I turned the job down they said you would really regret it, for once they might be right)

My original degree was within computer networking and I am looking at moving into TV infrastructure, I have alot of experience working in student TV and managing events which is where I draw alot of skills from when it comes to TV job, my undergraduate degree does also give me a bit of wiggle room as alot of it is going IP based now.

Anyways I am tempted to start applying for jobs now and if I am successful cease studying my masters, there are a few reasons why:
    -The course fees drop massively next year (3k price reduction), I have spoken to uni about them at least matching it but they try and dodge me all the time.
    -My uni accommodation has been shambles, building has been running late, frequent power cuts, things are getting stolen
    -I feel like a number not a student here compared to where I studied my undergrad, If i needed help they were on hand here they couldn't care less.
    -There alot of fluffy modules planned which I really wouldn't use (mainly research ones)
    -The course is entirely theory, I prefer a mix with practical hands learning not text books and slide shows all day

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should write my CV, the stuff I have studied so far would be incredibly useful in showing I actually care about the industry, on top of that I have been working for the university looking after the TV studios which again I really wouldn't want to omit.

Im a bit blank when it comes to this sort of stuff, I have lots of good to okish experience I can list for the last 6 months studying but then it I dont know if the "dropout" stigma would be a negative regardless

Cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAmazingA)
    First impression, is put it in. The problem with that is that none of the reasons for dropping out (which you are bound to be asked as it is so relevant and implies a change of motivation or lack of success) are at all valid to an employer, they all look whingey and soft (except perhaps the final one). So unless you can completely change your mindset/reasoning, it's best to avoid any mention.

So up to you - depends how you can present leaving the course constructively. Ideally, only leave when you have a job offer with the reason 'the job was too good an opportunity to miss and worth more to me than the degree'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.