Correlation between writing and memorizing? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In relation to learning and revising, is there a correlation between writing and memorizing do you think?

If so, does highlighting give the same effect? Does typing (on a computer - word processing) give the same result compared to handwriting?

If not, what methods do you use for learning? Why do you think this way is effective?
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would answer that, but you've spelt memorising wrong. :mad:

Ok, so it's right, but it isn't British.
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally I believe that the more you write something can help you to memorise it. For example if I was learning to memorise a paragraph of text I would memorise a few sentences, close the book and write it down again (and then repeat until perfect).

I think typing gives you the same effect (whilst giving yourself a break from too much writing). I see no difference in typing but do write some notes as it puts you in good stead for the written exams.

I think highlighting isn't as good but useful as I normally highlight after I have written summary notes so that I can memorise the key highlighted words when I read through my notes.

However my friend (who has achieved very similar grades) is dedicated to just reading her original notes over and over again. I think it is the same concept but for her it is easier to read rather than write (this may be the reason she is good at memorising scripts as she is an actress!).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%