Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starbucks plans to hire 10,000 refugees in response to Trump travel ban Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Hang on - specifically feminists and liberals, or just general people? There's a way to phrase things, mate. How about the fact that Starbucks is giving 10,000 otherwise jobless people jobs?
    "Feminists and liberals" was more provocative.

ReputationRep:
    could just replace one of those letters with a C
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Ridiculous. They should focus more on hiring citizens who need work. Don't people talk **** about benefits claimants? Most of the jobs benefits claimants are offered is minimum wage work in the public service...like starbucks.

Guess they're just gonna have to claim even MORE benefits if the migrants get the work

:tea:
    It doesn't state that the refugees will be hired over other applicants, if said applicants are more capable. If the benefits claimants are more skilled then they'll get the job, and if not, then they won't be in any different a position than they were in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Starbucks taking the moral high ground after their well known tax meddlings is just pure hypocrisy. Their sole aim is increasing sales at an opportunistic time, they could care less about refugees.
    *couldn't care less, but I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Well it won't be in America so why would Trump care. This is just a marketing strategy to make Starbucks look generous and compassionate, to divert the attention from them not paying tax. Get as many refugees as you want, but when they can't speak a single word of English or whatever language is spoken in the particular country, we'll see how long they last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    The migrants also need work and would probably be supported for by the taxpayer in some way if they didn't get it, one way or another.
    I'm going to ignore the fact that you're ignoring the fact that citizens aren't being prioritised, to say that I read the article and it states in 75 countries. Title and OP made me seem it was gonna be 10k in UK or something. So division wise, that's about 100 migrants in each country getting work which doesn't bother me TOO much, even though that one job anywhere besides Starbucks could've been a citizen's. People say benefits seekers bring the country down then they keep benefits seekers down by pretending to give a **** about migrants and putting them 1st. Rich. We also know how HORRIBLY muti, mega corps treat their workers so not even jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    thing is, i make excellent cawfee at home... with unlimited refills
    Got one of these huh? home made coffee is the best type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It doesn't state that the refugees will be hired over other applicants, if said applicants are more capable. If the benefits claimants are more skilled then they'll get the job, and if not, then they won't be in any different a position than they were in the first place.
    So are they going to hire everyone who applies if they are better than these refugees until they reach their 10,000 target?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So are they going to hire everyone who applies if they are better than these refugees until they reach their 10,000 target?
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't know the ins and outs of the policy, I'm merely pointing out that it doesn't say it will hire these 10,000 people over other applicants, simply that that is their target.

It's a bit of a leap to say that benefits claimants etc will be losing out on this, because we don't know how they will be implementing the system.

ReputationRep:
    Trump creates 10,000 new jobs

Thanks Donald!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    could just replace one of those letters with a C
    Starcucks. Dunkin Yonuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Ridiculous. They should focus more on hiring citizens who need work. Don't people talk **** about benefits claimants? Most of the jobs benefits claimants are offered is minimum wage work in the public service...like starbucks.

Guess they're just gonna have to claim even MORE benefits if the migrants get the work

:tea:

Spoiler:
    Show

What other virginity do you plan on breaking as you embark on your Starbuck's journey?

Uh lol are you stupid? The migrants need work as well, they're not going to hire employed migrants are they?

But sure anything that suits your ignorant rhetoric.

ReputationRep:
    Refugees will love cleaning the floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Got one of these huh? home made coffee is the best type
    Bloody poncy glasses, drugs are for mugs!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Refugees will love cleaning the floor.
    Lol exactly what I said. We all know that's the job they're gonna get. That's why I'm not even mad anymore.

ReputationRep:
    They are a private business and are allowed to make their own decisions, but they shouldn't try virtue signalling when they've been avoiding UK corporate tax for almost a decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    The irony when the far right's champion Mr Trump has caused so much chaos with his policy that they're now the ones constantly upset. I love it.

As is always said, they have a right to hire who they wish, respect that.
    What are you talking about?

The far right are not complaining about the muslim ban.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteKnight747)
    What are you talking about?

The far right are not complaining about the muslim ban.
    Yet you are complaining about the knock on effects of it.

ReputationRep:
    What about the natives? Surely the natives should be first in line for the jobs? I say we all boycott Starbucks, it's Costa or nothing for old Len now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Uh lol are you stupid? The migrants need work as well, they're not going to hire employed migrants are they?

But sure anything that suits your ignorant rhetoric.
    The migrants shouldn't be here in the first place. It's outrageous how migrants can just jump straight to the front of the queue whilst natives aren't even getting a look in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.