Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on UKCAT, what universities or anything dental related - feel free to ask in the middle of receiving offers + interviews for 2017 Dental Uni
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysMedi)
    Any advice on UKCAT, what universities or anything dental related - feel free to ask in the middle of receiving offers + interviews for 2017 Dental Uni
    I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum

ReputationRep:
    Hey! how did you prepare for your ukcat, and what score did you get (if you're okay with me asking)? have you had any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    any advice on extracurricular activities xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChinchillaMad)
    Hey! how did you prepare for your ukcat, and what score did you get (if you're okay with me asking)? have you had any offers yet?
    300/600 question book, and by far the BEST thing ever for ukcat was medify. It will be your best friend.

I had interviews at Leeds, Aberdeen, and offers from Liverpool and Uclan . first time 633 sjs 3, second time 650 sjs 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rameow)
    any advice on extracurricular activities xD

Birmingham like demonstration of a skill, best would be a musical instrument or painter ect.

But all extra curricula's are good in anything. shows your not a robot as they HATE people that are smart and have useless social skills.

If you volunteer at any charities put that in, have any medals for things, clubs you've foundered, musical interests or sporting achievement put them down. There is usually a separate part of the ps that they mark on extracurricular activities (leeds), so make sure you have something.

Also paid work during six form or collage is good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnDeMetz)
    Birmingham like demonstration of a skill, best would be a musical instrument or painter ect.

But all extra curricula's are good in anything. shows your not a robot as they HATE people that are smart and have useless social skills.

If you volunteer at any charities put that in, have any medals for things, clubs you've foundered, musical interests or sporting achievement put them down. There is usually a separate part of the ps that they mark on extracurricular activities (leeds), so make sure you have something.

Also paid work during six form or collage is good too.
    thank you! i have a question about the UKCAT if you dont mind, can you resit it or do unis hate that (KCL in particular)

ReputationRep:
    thank you! i have a question about the UKCAT if you dont mind, can you resit it or do unis hate that (KCL in particular)
    You are only allowed to take the UKcat once each session. It runs from May till early October I think. So no they won't. They won't even know if you apply two years running if you don't state it.

KCL operate by ranking the applicants via their UKcat, I think either the top 50% or 25% are invited to interview. KCL is so competitive to get in, most people have 700+ ukcat scores (but you can get in with 650 if you have good everything else).

My opinion is KCL would be my last choice of uni personally but thats just me haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnDeMetz)
    You are only allowed to take the UKcat once each session. It runs from May till early October I think. So no they won't. They won't even know if you apply two years running if you don't state it.

KCL operate by ranking the applicants via their UKcat, I think either the top 50% or 25% are invited to interview. KCL is so competitive to get in, most people have 700+ ukcat scores (but you can get in with 650 if you have good everything else).

My opinion is KCL would be my last choice of uni personally but thats just me haha

thank you!!!!! so i wont be frowned upon if i do it many times to improve my score? one more thing, what do you mean by a session

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!!!! so i wont be frowned upon if i do it many times to improve my score? one more thing, what do you mean by a session
    No, the UKcat isnt like the GMAT where it lists how many times you have done it. For example if want to get into dentistry starting in 2018, you will do the ukcat in may to october 2017, you can do it any time between then but only do it once. The earlier you do it the better, if you totally tank the ukcat its not the end of the world, providing your a strong applicant anyway you could apply to do the BMAT (Leeds), and also apply to uni's that don't really look at the ukcat Liverpool, Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham. These would all be good choices.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am a dental student that has passed all the application process and plan to give this one day workshop to help you and guide you through this process. Feel free to check out this https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-t...ts-32744341206

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    i want to apply for dentistry but completely bombed my ukcat and got 628 average and band 2
    Ive got 10A*s and 2As and have been predicted 41 out of 45 in the IB
    i was thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Birmingham and Bristol
    I know the london unis are very ukcat heavy and i am willing to risk it for Kings but not sure about Barts as I know they rank you
    What chances do you think i stand for any of these unis? do i stand a chance after these ukcat results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 804804)
    hey guys
    i want to apply for dentistry but completely bombed my ukcat and got 628 average and band 2
    Ive got 10A*s and 2As and have been predicted 41 out of 45 in the IB
    i was thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Birmingham and Bristol
    I know the london unis are very ukcat heavy and i am willing to risk it for Kings but not sure about Barts as I know they rank you
    What chances do you think i stand for any of these unis? do i stand a chance after these ukcat results
    I got 630 average and I managed to get into Kings this year so if you really want to go there I would apply. I didn't apply for Barts so I'm not sure about there. If you want any more info or help, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I will begin studying dentistry this September at Newcastle University! I've interviewed successfully at all the dental schools that I applied to so if you need any help or advice feel free to drop me a message!

Ishtiaq Ali

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudent201)
    I got 630 average and I managed to get into Kings this year so if you really want to go there I would apply. I didn't apply for Barts so I'm not sure about there. If you want any more info or help, feel free to PM me
    please pm me that would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    As UCAS advises that no more than 4 choices are for dentistry/medicine or vet medicine, is this a strict rule or just a recommendation, since you might not have an insurance choice if you use up all of the choices for these subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo everyone, I am a biomed. Graduating with a high 2:1. Had very good grades at High school aswel( a bit confused how to compare it with GCSE, as I am norwegian). But A in Maths, Chemistry 1, Physics and Biology. B in Chemistry 2. However I got a 515 band 3 score on the UKCAT, do I still have a chance to apply or not? Have had dental internship throughout this summer too.. Hope to hear from you very soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryK786)
    Hellooo everyone, I am a biomed. Graduating with a high 2:1. Had very good grades at High school aswel( a bit confused how to compare it with GCSE, as I am norwegian). But A in Maths, Chemistry 1, Physics and Biology. B in Chemistry 2. However I got a 515 band 3 score on the UKCAT, do I still have a chance to apply or not? Have had dental internship throughout this summer too.. Hope to hear from you very soon
    Unfortunately, graduate entry is very competitive and so most unis expect high UKCAT scores. Have you looked at courses in other EU countries?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I can apply for undergraduate studies instead of postgraduate tho? And no I haven’t yet.

(Original post by MerlinLeWizard)
    Unfortunately, graduate entry is very competitive and so most unis expect high UKCAT scores. Have you looked at courses in other EU countries?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can apply for undergraduate if you want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.