Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think we should tell children about death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Non-existence isn't scary.Before I was born I didn't exist for 13.7 billion years.I don't remember it being that bad.Do you think that when a dog dies it goes to a better place? How about mice or insects?Do they go to heaven? So why should human death be any different? I would tell them the truth and if I ever have a funeral the last thing I would want is for a priest to stand there telling lies.
    You may not find it scary, but a lot of people and children in particular too. Fear of death is natural and pretty helpful at keeping us alive. In any case, I don't see how you can tell someone the 'truth' about what happens after death when the answer is "we don't know". Unproven theories which don't contradict scientific evidence are not lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    You may not find it scary, but a lot of people and children in particular too. Fear of death is natural and pretty helpful at keeping us alive. In any case, I don't see how you can tell someone the 'truth' about what happens after death when the answer is "we don't know". Unproven theories which don't contradict scientific evidence are not lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I love people repeating the same word over and over. It's such a convincing argument that it never fails to change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I love people repeating the same word over and over. It's such a convincing argument that it never fails to change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that,but don't hide they are dead.

ReputationRep:
    'They don't go to heaven, theyre taken to a special place and burnt.'
    Sherlock

Or
    'My mum used to say that death was like falling asleep and never waking up again. Then she would turn off the light and say goodnight.'

Frasier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Water Bugs and Dragonflies?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Bugs-.../dp/0829816240
    Yeah that's the one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    Yeah that's the one!
    It's a very good book!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by 0to100)
    This should be moved to Religion.

And I wouldn't talk to them about death, what the hell? Unless they asked. Which would be weird.

Imagine if your child asked you about death lol demon child there.
    Why should it be moved to religion? Its a good question. Non religious people experience death as well, believe it or not.

Not really its quite common for children to experience death if a grandparent or a pet dies or they may see it on TV about someone dying and be curious. I would consider it quite natural if a child asked.

ReputationRep:
    Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get - forrest gumps mum
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My dad died suddenly when I was 9, no one at that point in my life had ever mentioned death to me and I wish they had, because thinking my loved ones would be around forever made that much harder to deal with. Shortly after I did gradually lose the minimal religious beliefs I had, I found it easier to see death as final rather than believing in any kind of afterlife.

My half sister asked me once she started school (around 4) why we didnt have the same dads and I tried in simple terms to explain that he was no longer with us, and when she asked if he was in heaven I asked her if she wanted to believe that it was fine but that wasn't what I believe. When I have kids, I intend to answer any of their questions including difficult topics such as death, because I don't want to be in my mum's situation explaining that death was final in the situation she had to .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why should it be moved to religion? Its a good question.
    ...What does it being a good question or not have to do with this being about religion? Since it's about religion it should be moved there!

ReputationRep:
    ...What does it being a good question or not have to do with this being about religion? Since it's about religion it should be moved there!
    It's not about religion, it's about what you're going to tell your hypothetical kids about death. Religion may enter the equation, but the two concepts aren't mutually inclusive.

There's a big difference between "we cease to physically exist" and "you go to a cloud filled place in the sky where you will live forever". One of the above statements is definitely true, the other? I wouldn't bet on it even if I were a betting man.

ReputationRep:
    It can be, but it doesn't have to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    It's not about religion, it's about what you're going to tell your hypothetical kids about death. Religion may enter the equation, but the two concepts aren't mutually inclusive.

There's a big difference between "we cease to physically exist" and "you go to a cloud filled place in the sky where you will live forever". One of the above statements is definitely true, the other? I wouldn't bet on it even if I were a betting man.
    I don't believe 'Heaven' is in the sky, or involves clouds. Those references are IMO metaphorical, since we can't really comprehend a non-physical existence.

ReputationRep:
    They are, however, unsubstantiated theories that have not been proven to be true. False until proven (beyond reasonable doubt) true, innocent until proven guilty. This is adopted because it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be their only guarantee in life. Bit dark, but true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    **** happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    They are, however, unsubstantiated theories that have not been proven to be true. False until proven (beyond reasonable doubt) true, innocent until proven guilty. This is adopted because it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.
    I fully accept that, but we're talking about 8-year-olds, not scientists. Nothing wrong with presenting an unproven theory to them - especially when there is no proof either way on what happens either death. It's not the same as e.g. creationism which isn't proven and directly contradicts the proven fact of evolution.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.