Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathdxn19)
    Hi, I am really pleased that you have given such a brilliant opportunity and that you are enjoying your course. I, too, would be interested in applying to study music on the foundation year. I have a couple of questions: can you apply both for the foundation year and for an undergraduate degree at the university simultaneously (having the foundation year as a back up plan?). My second question regards eligibility; I will briefly explain my circumstances. I am fortunate enough to live in a good area and attended a good private school, however I was unable to finish my education due to severe mental and physical disability (neuropsychiatric lupus). This left me unable to attend school so I have studied for my A level music (I am taking the exam this summer) from home with very little help. I am expecting to complete my other two A levels in the same manner whilst awaiting effective treatment (I am currently on immunosuppression for my condition). I do not fit the specific criteria however my studies have been greatly impacted by these extenuating circumstances which are obviously out of my control and equally damaging to difficult financial circumstances. So I suppose my questions to you are do you know anyone studying on the foundation year with similar circumstances to these, or anyone who has been granted a place based on difficulties of any other non-financial nature? I will not be offended if I am not considered eligible and am very pleased to hear such a programme exists. Thank you so much for your time.
    Hello there! To your first question: yes you can apply to the both. To the second question: one of the main criteria is that students must have been educated in the state system, so I'm afraid you will not be eligible - so sorry!

However, am I right in assuming you have the grades to apply directly? (as you ask whether you can apply to both foundation year and the university separately). If so I would really recommend going for it, and ensuring that you speak to a teacher about including all your mitigating circumstances in the teacher's reference. These are things admissions tutors take seriously and will use to inform their decision.

I hope that helps but please do let me know if you have any further questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.