Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I broke down in uni today... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Well, yes, frankly - you've got very little time left on your course so it's surely a case of looking forwards to June. It'll be June in a heartbeat.

Still, it's a shame that you're not going to be looking back on your time there with undiluted pleasure. I wonder whether once you've graduated, perhaps, with some distance, it might not seem such an awful experience after all. Do you think that might happen?
    I don't exactly regret coming to uni, I've grown a lot as a person here. I have a lot of great memories...just not of my course. I supposed I regret my course choice, but can't be helped now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    ...like an utter pleb trying to make sure no one noticed me crying. Which I have not done in a long time. -.-

I bloody hate uni so much, Cannot wait for this course to be over in a few months so I never have to think about this again

My project is causing me so much stress and confusion it is literally making me ill and no one seems to be able to help me or offer guidance. And I'm just constantly sick with worry about the the future because this project is worth so much of my degree.

Basically just posting for a distraction.
    Uni is hard ass work at the best of times!

You're doing really well to be in it and tackling the project despite it being a struggle.

Spend quality time with friends in between and don't feel bad about crying! It's better out than in when you're stressed. Maybe go to the uni counselling services or your personal tutor or any of the staff you know and feel comfortable having a chat with. Make sure you're looking after yourself i.e. getting enough sleep, seeing your doctor or having a chat on the phone if you need to, treat yourself, eat well, get hugs from your friends

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    ...like an utter pleb trying to make sure no one noticed me crying. Which I have not done in a long time. -.-

I bloody hate uni so much, Cannot wait for this course to be over in a few months so I never have to think about this again

My project is causing me so much stress and confusion it is literally making me ill and no one seems to be able to help me or offer guidance. And I'm just constantly sick with worry about the the future because this project is worth so much of my degree.

As a uni applicant can I ask why you couldn't leave earlier, or as soon as you realised it crap?

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly regret coming to uni, I've grown a lot as a person here. I have a lot of great memories...just not of my course. I supposed I regret my course choice, but can't be helped now.
    I think actually you sound very reasonable and balanced about this. From the title of the thread, I was sort of expecting a gibbering wreck of woman wailing on about how everything was going to hell in a handcart, but no...! You don't need me to tell you that sometimes you do make a wrong decision (in your case, it sounds like the course choice which perhaps wasn't right) but the big bright point for you is that you've stuck it out, got your head down and got on with it. And now you're on the home straight. That in itself is an enormous achievement - to read TSR sometimes you'd be fooled into thinking that as soon as someone doesn't 'like' their course they just stop their feet, jack it in and drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paisley99)
    As a uni applicant can I ask why you couldn't leave earlier, or as soon as you realised it crap?
    I took a foundation year, so by the time I realised I didn't like my undergraduate degree (Which I started technically in my second year of funding) I was no longer eligible to start a new degree fully funded. So I just decided to try and make the best of it. I have good and bad days, this was just a particularly bad one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think actually you sound very reasonable and balanced about this. From the title of the thread, I was sort of expecting a gibbering wreck of woman wailing on about how everything was going to hell in a handcart, but no...! You don't need me to tell you that sometimes you do make a wrong decision (in your case, it sounds like the course choice which perhaps wasn't right) but the big bright point for you is that you've stuck it out, got your head down and got on with it. And now you're on the home straight. That in itself is an enormous achievement - to read TSR sometimes you'd be fooled into thinking that as soon as someone doesn't 'like' their course they just stop their feet, jack it in and drop out.
    Thanks that is nice of you to say, yeah sometimes I really just need to vent. Seemed more reasonable to come on here than expect my friends to always listen to me moaning.

Yeah I know mistakes happen, it's just a tough reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)

You're doing really well to be in it and tackling the project despite it being a struggle.

Spend quality time with friends in between and don't feel bad about crying! It's better out than in when you're stressed. Maybe go to the uni counselling services or your personal tutor or any of the staff you know and feel comfortable having a chat with. Make sure you're looking after yourself i.e. getting enough sleep, seeing your doctor or having a chat on the phone if you need to, treat yourself, eat well, get hugs from your friends

:hugs:

Thank you. I went to the shops after labs and bought myself a new yankee candle so I could have a nice cosy night in smelling of cinnamon :lol: it's the little things that help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that is nice of you to say, yeah sometimes I really just need to vent. Seemed more reasonable to come on here than expect my friends to always listen to me moaning.

Yeah I know mistakes happen, it's just a tough reality.
    Absolutely, I understand TSR is rather good for venting. Hang on in there, and don't be too hard on yourself - you really should feel pleased with yourself for sticking in there and doing what needs doing. It's a great skill to have, both now and in your future career.

ReputationRep:
    I took a foundation year, so by the time I realised I didn't like my undergraduate degree (Which I started technically in my second year of funding) I was no longer eligible to start a new degree fully funded. So I just decided to try and make the best of it. I have good and bad days, this was just a particularly bad one.
    Ahh so you used up your "gift" year in your foundation year?
    What if it was early on in your second year (like a week or a month) then could you still just have 4 years of funding?
    I always thought you can always change, didn't know it was that serious.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I went to the shops after labs and bought myself a new yankee candle so I could have a nice cosy night in smelling of cinnamon :lol: it's the little things that help.
    Good choice! Exactly it really is

ReputationRep:
    Honestly an extension won't help much because basically as soon as this project stuff is due I have exams, I'll just be battling it all at once.

I just feel totally lost and hopeless, I don't even want to think about it anymore but I also literally cannot get it off my mind.
    You just have to try your best and give yourself time off. Baths help me chill out.

Also I got a 2:1 and ended up unemployed anyway and am back at uni for round 2

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    You told me it was cushy :huff:

ReputationRep:
    Happens to the best of us. I did at work when the boss was having a go at me for no reason probably because someone got him annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so you used up your "gift" year in your foundation year?
    What if it was early on in your second year (like a week or a month) then could you still just have 4 years of funding?
    I always thought you can always change, didn't know it was that serious.
    No, by the time I knew it was too late.

Which is why my advice to applying students now is to be as sure as they possibly can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You just have to try your best and give yourself time off. Baths help me chill out.

Do you have to pay 9 grand a year for round 2?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you have to pay for the tuition fee yourself. Which would be 9 grand a year in most cases.

Edit: oh wait, my mistake. That user is doing a master's course if I recall correctly, which student finance recently started funding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a masters in computing to try and get more employable skills on top of my undergraduate degree and job experience (warehouse work lol). You can get a 10k student loan from the government for such postgraduate studies.

There is no way I am doing another undergraduate degree. -__-

Yeah you have to pay for the tuition fee yourself. Which would be 9 grand a year in most cases.

Edit: oh wait, my mistake. That user is doing a master's course if I recall correctly, which student finance recently started funding.
    "That user" has a name :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Great motivational words...

Intereference more like :rolleyes:

It can be especially if you're living at home which you did! But if you've moved away and you don't have that extra safety net of home/parents/financial assistance then... not quite so easy in fact a shock to the system so

ReputationRep:
    So sorry. Hope you are feeling better
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I see someone bumped this a few mins ago (not myself) but I hope you have pulled through and got there in the end. Uni can feel like such a pain sometimes a lot of the time almost all the time

ReputationRep:

Hey we've all been there, just remember you aren't alone in going through this.

What I think you need is to clear your mind and give it a short break. It sounds like now you are spinning around a million miles and hour and you won't see anything clearly in this state.

3 things that helped me:

1. You need some exercise, preferably to get you outside like a sport. Honestly it kept me sane just having that time twice a week to go outside, get some fresh air and not look at books or a computer screen.

2. Meditation, this takes some practice but it really helps to calm you down and give your mind a rest.

Yoga is good as it's sort of both exercise and meditation combined.

3. Go and loose yourself for a day, go dance your legs off, do something you love doing and makes you smile nomatter how you feel and commit the whole day to it. This is totally opposite but is easier to get results from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.